Hello!
Welcome to my blog!
Feel free to look around or drop me a line. I love comments as well.
Press/PR please contact me at
BaroqueInBabylon@hotmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Friday, November 7, 2014

Comparisons and Dupe of Lime Crime Salem Velvetine: Brown Lipsticks and Liners

I love brown!  And yes, chocolate!

Hi there!

Okay so brown lipstick- specifically Lime Crime Makeup Lip Stain in Wicked.  I've wanted it for.ever.  It's this gorgeous brown that constantly pops up on Lime Crime's Instagram and taunts me.  It's not just 'brown' it's like milk chocolate but with a slight warm undertone that keeps it from looking like you raided your stash of Hershey's.  It's just gorgeous.  Here are some of the pics I'm talking about:


.

Lime Crime Salem Velvetine in action



Stop, seriously- look how gorgeous that is.






Okay so I finally picked Salem up and realized that a few gals were wondering how to dupe this $20.00 lip gloss.  Some don't like Lime Crime.  Some don't want to pay that much- some just like the hunt for an exact dupe.

Why bother?  Well, Salem is gorgeous and I don't want to always shell out that much to get that color.  Okay I have 1 backup on the list, but other than that...I love a good deal.  The Velvetines are nice because like Etude's Lips Fit they apply like a liquid lipstick but dry to a clean, long-lasting 100% opaque finish.  They don't dry your lips *unlike Cover Girl's long-lasting lipsticks* and so they remove the need for a gloss and can truly be worn matte and as-is.  Lime Crime is the only one that makes a brown matte finish available from an established company that I know of.  Hence, it's a dandy lip item to have- for those days you want brown lips.

I figured I'd pull out a few brown toned lipsticks and liners to see if anything came close to the finish or shade of Salem.

The contenders are:

MAC lipstick in Photo- golden brown
MAC Stone lip pencil- grey neutral brown
Nyx Nutmeg long lip pencil- warm red brown
Nyx Chestnut long lip pencil- clean true brown
Besame Chocolate Kiss lipstick- golden sienna brown

And because I can't help myself, here's a little humor if we're going to be talking all about brown today :)


I was reaaaally hoping to find a good dupe for Salem as I have to admit, I love it.  I don't love the price (or the shipping that hikes it up even higher, like $26.00) that even the BEST packaging in the world couldn't make up for....but here's the lowdown based on the products I currently own-


Then for fun I tried it in direct sunlight to see if that made a difference.  You can obviously see that none come close to the opacity (full coverage) of the Velvetine or even really match the color. Except for Nyx's Chestnut lip liner.  Okay.  That's a hit!


But on the mouth do they look the same?


As you can see- it's just not a close comparison.  I didn't use any primers to bump up the performance of the lip pencil, just to show tube/pencil--> lip performance.  To be fair, it's unrealistic to expect a pencil to apply like a straight up liquid to matte product.  You'll get streaking, uneven color and a really chapped lip if you try too hard to match the opacity of the Velvetine.  Shoot, I tried.

However, I have found that ColourPop Pitch pencil/lippie might give you that shame chocolate shade- take a look!


I would say if you want this color- go with Colour Pop.  No drama.  Cheaper ($10 for two items, a pencil and lipstick) compared to $20 for one matte gloss.  If you like the matte effect use the pencil, blot with HD/silicone powder and set it.  Link to other Colour Pop swatches HERE if you want to see some other vibrant shades.  To buy Pitch, go HERE.

Some other options that look like they could come close but I don't own them are:





Jordana Easyliner "Coco Loco" via AlluraBeauty

So far I've not found an exact copy of Salem- but I do own the original, so I have to just love my tube until it runs out. 

I will admit that brown lipstick hasn't always appealed to me (it looks messy or weird sometimes) but lately I've realized that brown can be very versatile and look good on just about anyone. I'll be wearing Salem all fall and I hope you find a brown lipstick you like too.  

Do you know of any dupes for Salem?

Have a great day,
T

10 comments:

Phyrra said...

The velvetines look like a great product but I just cannot stand the brand :/

Tattiana Torres said...

Lime Crime has so much controversy but I have to admit those Velvetines are some of THE ABSOLUTE BEST lip products I own. Nothing compares to the texture, opacity, and wear time. For me, at least .

Vulcan_Butterfly said...

My sister is a nurse so I know what code brown means, lol! I cannot wear brown lip colours, they just do not look right on me.

Annie Dreyer said...

Interesting! Lime Crime is a pretty cool company! Awesome! Would you like to follow each other on GFC?! Let me know and follow me on my blog, I will follow you right back on both GFC and Bloglovin!
xx
Annie
www.the-lostangeles.blogspot.com

Annie Dreyer said...

Interesting! Lime Crime is a pretty cool company! Awesome! Would you like to follow each other on GFC?! Let me know and follow me on my blog, I will follow you right back on both GFC and Bloglovin!
xx
Annie
www.the-lostangeles.blogspot.com

Modern Grace said...

I feel weird about it (because of the LC drama), but I ordered it from Urban Outfitters. They seem to be the only company who keeps it in stock this fall. The next big thing will be the shade Cashmere. While interesting, I think Salem will be my one and only purchase of Lime Crime. Xenia just seems borderline sociopath.

Anonymous said...

These were getting raved about by various bloggers and have the same transerproof matte finish as LC #18 is a dupe for Cashmere #33 Wicked and I think #28 for Red Velvet. But they have tons of colors and cheap $2-3 a piece. Hope this helps. http://www.bornprettystore.com/colors-gloss-waterproof-matte-velvet-long-lasting-pencils-p-15445.html

Lime Crime said...

Okay so brown lipstick- specifically Lime Crime Makeup Lip Stain in Wicked. I've wanted it for.ever. It's this gorgeous brown that constantly pops ... llimecrime.blogspot.com

Baroque In Babylon said...

With so many new matte lipsticks coming out- Too Faced Melted, Anastasia Matte Lipsticks, LA Girl Matte lip paints- on and on....there are so many options besides LC!

Tanya said...

I'm so glad that I brought the salem. I love this lippy!

http://the-renaissance-of-inner-fashion.blogspot.co.uk