Hello!
Welcome to my blog!
Feel free to look around or drop me a line. I love comments as well.
Press/PR please contact me at
BaroqueInBabylon@hotmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Real Techniques Brush Haul: Powder, Setting, Expert Face, and Blush Brushes! Get Your Faux Airbrush On!

Company Logo, courtesy of Real Techniques

Hi there!

Hype has been surrounding Real Techniques brushes for a while now.  I've recently picked up 5 of them and wanted to share the four types (I have 2 of one type as a backup) that now rent space on Brush Row in my office.  You'll want to look out for the full bristles and cloud-like appearance.  Plus they stand up on their own.  Intrigued as I was before I got them?  I hope so!  Let's take a look.






If you're aware of Pixiwoo on YouTube then you have a good idea of the names behind the brushes, Sam and Nic Chapman. These brushes are distributed by Paris Presents, which I've reviewed before and can be found at Wal-Mart as a mineral brush set and other brush items.  They're really affordable and perform fairly well.  However, they're not as coveted as say MAC or even EcoTools.  With Paris Presents as the platform for these brushes, I didn't have uber high hopes and thought it's another guru-hawked brand.  A marketing ploy.  But then I bought the Expert Face brush on a whim to try it and I was so pleased.  I'm over 30, I have lines (thank you RN school, I love you) and pigmentation issues.  That means foundation doesn't just whisk over my face anymore.  The Expert Face brush applied so smoothly, I was impressed and find I'm reaching for it over my Beauty Blender.  Suddenly I felt my makeup looked better and who doesn't want that?

Blurb about the brushes (found at Wal-Mart's website):

About the Brushes 

Designed with pro makeup artist Samantha Chapman, Real Techniques brushes combine high-tech materials with innovative design to make creating a pixel-perfect look easier than ever: 
  • Synthetic bristles are ultra plush and smoother than the hair you'll find in other brushes. Since our bristles are synthetic, it's 100% cruelty-free. The soft fibers help create a flawless, high-definition finish in any type of light from sunlight to harsh indoor lighting.
  • The color-coded system corresponds to the key steps of makeup application so you can create a flawless base, enhanced eyes, and the perfect finish like a pro.
  • Each brush head is hand-cut to the perfect shape, allowing for precise application from dense coverage to a soft, delicate finish.
  • The collection is suitable for a wide range of products and every makeup need from powders, creams, and liquids to mineral makeup, highlighter, and shimmer.
  • Brush names on the handles make for easy reference when creating your favorite look.

These brushes are available at:

  • Real Techniques website *probably the cheapest pre-shipping
  • Ulta (which has buy 1, get 1 50% off right now)
  • Walgreens
  • Drugstore.com
  • Walmart.com (However, I haven't seen them at the actual store) *best deal if not on sale
  • Amazon (I bought mine here, got them with Prime free 2-day shipping)

Prices vary, but I like Wal-Mart's ship to store option for free if you want to save on shipping.  After the great application and realizing they were affordable (around $10 for a big powder brush) I wanted to share it with you!  I also wanted to put my two cents out into the blog-o-sphere.  Here are the four types of Real Techniques brushes I own:

Backs of the boxes

Standing on my scanner (the setting brush doesn't hold itself upright)

 Look at the dome on that blush brush.  What's nice is that they are synthetic and very soft/silky feeling.  The duo-fibre aspect keeps them from being pokey or scratchy.  The powder and blush brushes are also very cloud-like when you feel them.  The bristles aren't so dense that you will end up with a blot of product.  They are very wispy and appealing.  The expert face brush is dense but not stiff- the texture of these brushes are unique and that's what was so nice- you're not getting yet another blush brush.

I'll show you close ups of each brush head and finish the post with a look featuring my foundation having been applied with the Expert Face brush.  Let's get started!

Expert Face Brush, $8.98



Powder Brush, $9.98



Blush Brush, $8.98



Setting Brush, $7.98



Here is a look I did using the Real Techniques expert face brush for my foundation.  I used the blush brush and powder brush as well and I found that it was superior to using a stipple brush and standard MAC blush brush.  I didn't edit the photos of my makeup at all, so you can see what it really looks like.


Products

Face
Foundation, L'Oreal True Match N1 *used expert face brush
Powder, MAC Sheer Pressed NC20 *used powder brush
Bronzer, Milani Baked Bronzer, Glow

Cheeks
Blush, MAC Ambering Rose

Eyes
(mostly liner and light eyeshadow)
Liner, Rimmel Kohl Kajal, Black
Eyeshadow, MAC Nehru (to set liner)
Lid, MAC Shroom
Crease, MAC Satin Taupe mixed with Soft Brown
Outer V, MAC Satin Taupe
Mascara, L'Oreal Voluminous, Black
Brows, MAC Mystery applied with angled liner brush

Lips
Liner, MAC Hover
Lips, mix of MAC Twig and Ramblin' Rose
Gloss, MAC lipglass, Prrr

Have you tried these brushes before?  Did you see anything unique or a certain brush you'd like to try?  I'm really pleased with them and feel like they're affordable and worth investing in.  I was surprised by their silky feel and quality of application.  I like them better than my MAC foundation/blush brushes and that is saying a lot!  Just for fun, here's my Real Techniques wish list:

-Miracle Complexion Sponge
-Retractable kabuki
-Retractable bronzer
-Stippling brush
-Shading brush
-Silicone eye liner brush

If you try them or have used them- let me know.  I'd like to hear if you were as pleased with them as I am!

Shop these brushes



Have a great day,
T

2 comments:

Normal Girl Nails said...

I LOVE these brushes! I have most of them. The Expert Face Brush is my fave - I use it every day, along with the powder blush and usually the setting brush. I like the blush brush for more pigmented blushes, so that I don't go overboard, but I don't find it deposits quite enough if I'm using a less-pigmented blush. I keep hoping they will bring out more!

Baroque In Babylon said...

I agree! I hope they come out with a lot more. I love the expert face brush and it sounds like we have similar taste in brush types. I do think too the blush brush keeps you from having cheek stripes and I like that but yeah with my MAC mineralize blushes, I have to do a few turns on the pan. Thank you for saying hi!