Hello!
Welcome to my blog!
Feel free to look around or drop me a line. I love comments as well.
Press/PR please contact me at
BaroqueInBabylon@hotmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Urban Decay Naked Palette 1, 2, and 3, and Basics Dupe: Coastal Scents Revealed Palette Review and Swatches



Hi there!

I've been noticing a large rise in naked/nude/neutral themed eyeshadow palettes.  It's no surprise that the Urban Decay Naked palette has resulted in swarms of duplicates as these shades suit everyone and are lovely to look at.  But I see all of these naked-wannabes and wonder, "Okay am I buying the same shades over and over in different boxes?  Are the Urban Decay palettes the best?  Am I cheap for not getting UD and getting something else instead?"  So in true blogger fashion, I picked up the Urban Decay palettes including Basics, 1, 2, and 3.  I also have a few dupes.  One of my favorites is the Coastal Scents Revealed Palette.  I wanted to talk all about the Revealed because I think it's a great contender if you're trying to decide between the $52.00 real thing or a cheaper alternative.




Here are the details on this little gem of a neutral palette:


Coastal Scents offers this palette for $19.95.  I picked mine up on sale for $9.95 and if you really want it, wait for one of their frequent sales and buy it then. 

You'll see the palette on the website like this, with different photos, a digital color pan image, and customer reviews.  I've found the reviews helpful and the website easy to use.

Buy Revealed Palette HERE
Upon arrival, the palette has a cardboard sleeve and opens to reveal (no pun intended, ha ha) a cardboard casing with magnetic closure.  20 pans that are very similar to Urban Decay's rectangles greet you with a nice assortment of neutral shades.  If you're worried you'll feel you should have spent your money elsewhere, rest at ease- this is a GREAT find!  I feel like it's the hush hush 'Best Of' version of Urban Decay's Naked 1 and 2 palettes for a fraction of the cost.

Here's some more info from Coastal Scents' website:

IngredientsTalc, Mica, Squalane, Dimethicone, Titanium Dioxide, Magnesium Stearate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Lanolin, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, BHT. May Contain : Mica and Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Ultramarine Blue, Manganese Violet, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide, Chrome Oxide Greens, Hydrated Chrome Oxide Green, FD&C Red No.40 A1 Lake, FD&C Yellow No.5 A1 Lake, FD&C Blue No.1 Al Lake.
DimensionsPalette : 7.25" x 3.75" x 0.5" (18.415cm x 9.525cm x 1.3cm)
Net Weight30g (1oz.)

There are 20 eyeshadows and each is 1.5 grams of product.  Urban Decay pans in the Naked palettes hold 1.3 grams, so the Revealed pans although very similar, are slightly larger.

Cost:
Revealed palette, cost analysis: $19.95 for 30 grams, $1 per pan
Urban Decay palettes, cost analysis: $52.00 for 15.6 grams, $4.33 per pan
Urban Decay Basics palette, cost analysis:  $27.00 for 7.8 grams, $4.50 per pan


Clearly, the Coastal Scents palette is a great deal.  However, the UD palettes are still quite fairly priced as eyeshadows are $18.00 full price for one single, which holds 1.5 grams.  That amounts to a whopping $12 per gram- so the palettes are a much better value.

Here are size comparison photos:



For further comparison, below is Coastal Scents' digital image of the shades (which is also included on the back of the cardboard box):


Below is my photograph of the same shades.  You can see the digital imagery shows more intensity with a warm cast.  I found the shades to be much more neutral and soft in hue than the promo graphic.


I've numbered the shades on the top from 1-10 and the bottom from 11-20.  Normally Coastal Scents' shades can all nearly be traced to a Hot Pot shade.  I've included those (based on my eyeballs) for your comparison.  If you'd rather get the Hot Pots and create your own Naked palettes, that's cost effective too as the Hot Pots retail at $1.95 for 1.5 grams.  Size-wise they are 26 mm (MAC sized) round pans and can stick to Z palettes and magnetic boards.  

Ahem, but back to the Revealed :)



My swatches are foiled with water on bare skin and photographed in natural light.  Depending on cloud cover, there can be a more yellow tone to the photos, but I like seeing shades in varying types of lighting.

Shade shop below pans 1 through 10.




Dupe List and Hot Pots for shades 1-10

1.  Dupe for Foxy (Naked Basics & Naked 2), Hot Pot  Reef Sand (more shimmer)
2.  Dupe for Booty Call (Naked 2), W.O.S. (Naked Basics), Hot Pot Chamois Nude
3.  Dupe for Sin (Naked 1), Naked 2 (Naked Basics, slightly darker), Hot Pot Caramel Ice
4.  Dupe for Naked (Naked 1), Hot Pot Peach Fuzz
5.  Dupe for Faint (Naked Basics), Tease (Naked 2), matte version of Mugshot (Naked 3), Hot Pot Cocoa Diamond (more shimmer)
6.  Dupe for Sidecar (Naked 1), YDK (Naked 2), Hot Pot Camel Taupe
7.  Dupe for Buck (Naked 1), Hot Pot Kokomo Cafe
8.  Dupe for Half Baked (Naked 1 & 2), Hot Pot Copper Glaze 
9.  Dupe for Suspect (Naked 2), Hot Pot Miami Spice (more plum)
10.  Dupe for Verve (Naked 2), Hot Pot Sand Dune

Here are shades 11-20


Dupe List and Hot Pots for shades 11-20

11.  Dupe for Smog (Naked 1), Hot Pot Golden Sienna
12.  Dupe for Snakebite (Naked 2), Hot Pot Cherry Moss (slightly lighter)
13.  Dupe for Pistol (darker), Hot Pot Bazaar
14.  Dupe for Faint (Basics, more shimmer), Hot Pot Timeless Taupe
15.  Dupe for Toasted (Naked 1), Trick (Naked 3, less gold glitter), Hot Pot Mauve
16.  Dupe for Mugshot (Naked 3), Hot Pot Mai Tai
17.  Dupe for YDK (Naked 2), Hot Pot Sand Storm
18.  Dupe for Hustle (Naked 1), Factory (Naked 3, more taupe), Hot Pot Deep Merlot
19.  Dupe for Gunmetal (Naked 1), Hot Pot Elven Midnight
20.  Dupe for Crave (Naked Basics), Blackout (Naked 2), Hot Pot Incognito

Here are some comparison photos for each Naked palette, showing dupes that visually, appear very similar. Swatching will sometimes betray a color to be more warm/cool, etc but just from looking, these appear to be close enough for government work, enough to get it done.

So let's start with the Naked (1) Palette....originals first! :)  You'll quickly see that getting the Revealed palette is like getting the Greatest Hits of the Urban Decay Naked palettes.  It's like getting Anthropologie on clearance, you feel like you're cheating the universe in a wonderful way.

The Naked palette was more taupe, neutral based.


Now on to Naked 2, a warmer, more bronzed collection.


Naked 3 palette, my personal favorite, a rose gold debutante that I really think everyone should get. Thankfully for Urban Decay, there aren't many dupes. 

You're probably thinking there is no way #18 (bottom row, third from right) is a dupe for Factory as it looks too greige.  I promise though, in real life they are very, very close.  Seeing it isn't always the same as swatching, which I find to be weird but true.


Last of all, the Naked Basics palette (the perfect purse version of neutrals).  However for $27 you can get 14 more colors for $7 bucks cheaper.  Just sayin :)



The final showdown is as follows for original shades that I couldn't reasonably apply dupes to:

Naked 1-  One original shade, Darkhorse which I think could be accomplished by mixing #14 and #18 from Revealed

Naked 2- Two original shades, Chopper and Busted.  Chopper could be created by mixing #14 (sans gold glitter) and #8 from Revealed

Naked 3- The most original by far, 10 original shades.  But I think you could get Trick by mixing #3 and #15 of Revealed

Naked Basics-  All dupable by Revealed

Revealed- Two shades, #'s 12 and 14 were pretty unique and not found in the Naked Palettes

So overall I would say the Revealed palette is a great deal.  It's cheaper, the shades are unique or dupable to nearly all Naked palettes and gives a great range of neutral to warm/cool options with a nice black.  I really can't find much negative to say other than it's not fancy like Urban Decay and comes in a cardboard versus a metal box and doesn't come with a free brush/liner/lippie.  However, I hardly buy palettes for the extras and if you're on a budget, the Revealed palette is an excellent bet. 

If I were to build the Revealed from Urban Decay's products I would need at least the Basics, 1 and 2.  I really feel the Naked Basics could be omitted from your wish list if you get the Revealed palette.  Hey, that's $27 bucks for something else!

I hope this was useful to you!  I will provide swatches and link back to this post but today I ran out of daylight.  I really feel that the texture of these shades are comparable.  Lights are always harder to build than metallics or darker shades but I didn't have an issue with any of the shadows in these palettes I tested.  I'm proud to say there weren't any duds.  

Thankfully some of the glitter in the UD palettes isn't present in the Coastal Scents palette.  I really didn't find fallout to be a problem with any of the palettes and there was a nice mix of satin, matte, and shimmer shadows except for the Basics which is a sextuplet of mattes.  You'll have your bases covered should you decide to pick Revealed up.

Can you tell I'm pleased with it?  I think if you tried it, you would be too!

Have a great day,
T

Photobucket

13 comments:

Jewellsparkle said...

Wow thank you for all your work on the post! A labour of love I'm sure, but it is much appreciated. I hadn't heard about the revealed palette but definitely keen now.

Baroque In Babylon said...

Thanks for your comment. It is a total labor of love and I hope you try the palette out. I've been consistently happy with Coastal Scents' products.

Vulcan_Butterfly said...

If I would have known this before I would have bought this instead of both Naked and Naked2! That is a pretty good deal for the Revealed palette.

Mackenzie said...

This is a very helpful blog post but your math for the cost per pan is wrong. You need to divide the total by the number of grams so it'd be $19.95/30g = $0.67 per gram. But that would be per gram and I think you were trying to go for the cost per individual shadow which would be $19.95/20shadows = $1.00 per shadow (rounded). I hope this helps for future blog posts and thank you for this helpful post :)

Mackenzie said...

This is a very helpful blog post but your math for the cost per pan is wrong. You need to divide the total by the number of grams so it'd be $19.95/30g = $0.67 per gram. But that would be per gram and I think you were trying to go for the cost per individual shadow which would be $19.95/20shadows = $1.00 per shadow (rounded). I hope this helps for future blog posts and thank you for this helpful post :)

Baroque In Babylon said...

Thanks Mackenzie, that's what I get for trying to think and type at the same time :) Edited and fixed. I did this too quickly.

Christine Wilson said...

Thanks so much for adding the corresponding hot pots!! I have the Revealed Palette and have been wondering about the hot pots so I can just re-order a color if I run out. I wonder why they didn't just label the palette. Anyway, THANKS!

Baroque In Babylon said...

@Christine- you are very welcome xoxo I emailed Coastal Scents and they said they didn't have matching Hot Pots, but I bet you could definitely come really, really close with the colors I listed.

notesfromafrica said...

Great review! I especially liked your swatch photos.

I've bought the palette on your recommendation and am very happy with it.

Glad to have found your blog - will be checking out your other reviews.

Have a good day!
Lisa.

Baroque In Babylon said...

Hi Lisa- I'm happy to hear you love it! It's a great palette for the price. I might get another for travel. Thanks for reading!

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. This is by far the most helpful post Ive found comparing these palettes and great swatches. It also helped me a ton in not purchasing hot pots of colors that i would otherwise have repeated.

Tia said...

YAY! I have been trying to figure out the hot pot equivalents since i am about to hit pan on some of my Revealed colors, this helps immensely! Thank you for such a comprehensive post!

Amanda Davis said...

I have been looking for this everywhere!! Thank you so so much!