Hello!
Welcome to my blog!
Feel free to look around or drop me a line. I love comments as well.
Press/PR please contact me at
BaroqueInBabylon@hotmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Friday, February 14, 2014

The Nude Lip Everyone Can Wear: MAC Viva Glam II, Explicit Lipglass, and Etcetera Pro Longwear Lip Pencil! Swatches + Review!


Hi there!

I have such a weakness, fever, near delirium for nude lips.  I'm pale (NC15 leaning pink toned) and nude lips go two ways on me:  corpse and hooker.  So I have to be really careful.  Let me say when a nude lip happens that isn't hard and has that Bombshell to Office factor, I take notice.

Here's the lip I think anyone could pull off and look stunning.  Sexy.  Smart.  THAT nude lip!



Take a look how subtle and perfect this combo is!







I only have a few of the Viva Glam shades but I'm eyeballing V like it's going out of style.  Viva Glam II is described as "muted pink beige with shimmer" and it's a satin formula.  It's no coinky-dink that MAC's Viva Glam line is full of pinky beiges- it's a great, versatile lip shade range, but I think Viva Glam II takes the cake!

I paired it with Explicit lipglass, described as "golden bronze with icy silver shimmer" but I wouldn't say it's golden.  It's more of a pearled brown grey with a hint of pink duochrome.  

The last part is Etcetera pro longwear lip pencil.  Okay, I know, you've got Subculture and Stripdown keeping you in good company.  Do you really need another nude lip liner?  I say yes.  Because some get too brown, some look too pink....this it's like neutral golden pink in a way that defines without giving you rimmed looking lips.  I dig it.  Highly.


Here you can see a more true look at Explicit.  It's seriously brown/grey.  BUT I love it.  With Stone lip pencil and Snob, I think you could get an awesome cool-toned pink lip as well.  I think I might do a lip-a-day with only MAC.  I love them all that much.



MAC collab'ed with KD Lang and hence was born Viva Glam II back in '97 (seriously) but it's such a great color and Viva Glam is a charitable portion of MAC's product line that donates to AIDS relief.  It's also not eligible for PRO discounts.  Here's MAC's blurb on Viva Glam:

"In 1994, M·A·C introduced VIVA GLAM, an outspoken deep red that was universal in appeal and glamour. In 1997, a second lipstick was created VIVA GLAM II, a pinked mauve. VIVA GLAM III, a foxy brown plum launched in 2000. VIVA GLAM IV, a heartful rose charged with gold, introduced in March 2002. In March 2004, Viva Glam V makes its debut, a pure neutral pink with a delicious Lustre finish! VIVA GLAM VI, the newest member of the VIVA GLAM family, is a warm terracotta-plum with pearl finish. Wear it alone or finish it off with a coat of VIVA GLAM VI Lipglass. Every cent of the selling price of VIVA GLAM Lipstick and Lipglass is donated to the M·A·C AIDS Fund to support men, women, and children living with HIV and AIDS."


A pinked mauve is a perfect color description.  It has a slightly frosty texture that looks gritty in the tube but applies smoothly.  I love how I can deepen it with gloss or a liner or on its own is a nice, simple pink.  A great lips-but-better shade.




Pro Longwear lip pencils are part of the supposed pro line- but to me I don't see any long wearing benefit as compared to the regular lip pencils.  You get less product and they cost more as far as the lip pencils go. 1.2g for $19.50.

Etcetera is described as "creamy beige" and I'd like to add the term 'golden tan' to that.  It's definitely more warm toned that beige.



Swatches on my skin in daylight, no primers.


I love the pearlized shimmer of Explicit- it's such a great lipglass.  It doesn't alter your lipcolor or make it frosty.  It just adds a subtle gleam that is really nice.  Very adult, not a teenage gloss.



I love this lip combo and I hope you do too!  What is your go-to nude lip?  

Have a great day,
T


Photobucket

4 comments:

Margo @ PrettyPanda said...

Wow, gorgeous combination!! I will definitely be looking into getting the lipstick!

Baroque In Babylon said...

Thank you Margo! I was really surprised at how much I love it. I wish I'd gotten it years ago!

Christine said...

What a gorgeous combination, want that lipstick now :-)

Love, Christine♥
http://christineiversen.blogspot.com

Baroque In Babylon said...

Hi Christine- thank you! I was suprised with how much I loved it too. It's effortless.