Hello!
Welcome to my blog!
Feel free to look around or drop me a line. I love comments as well.
Press/PR please contact me at
BaroqueInBabylon@hotmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Saturday, February 15, 2014

4 Bright and Cheerful Lime Crime Lipsticks: Review + Swatches!

Hi there!

Okay so drama about Lime Crime aside, here are four of the lipsticks.  I will admit to buying most of the range back in 2008 (i.e. 12 eyeshadows and some glitters- this was pre palette/velvetine days) as I was impressed with the marketing, the hype, and the whole idea of getting into the fun aspect of the line.

The four lipsticks I own are:

Centrifuchsia- bright magenta
Airborne Unicorn- warm lavender
Babette- coral pink
Cosmopop- creamy pale orange

These retail for $16.00 each at Lime Crime's website.



The tubes are a bright violet with a holographic unicorn on them.  They're slightly larger than MAC tubes but a similar shape with a conical top and round bottom.  They are lovely and I appreciate the kitschy appeal and singularity of the design.


Please excuse how funky a couple of these tubes look.  When I use them in my kit I have a spatula to scrape the product for application.  It's effective and clean yet leaves me with a gnawed up looking lippie.  Sadly, I've stopped using Lime Crime lipsticks because the pressure of the spatula broke them in the tubes- a problem I've not encountered with other lipsticks.  So these are professionally retired.  I promise I don't eat my lipsticks :)




Ermegersh there is a fuzz on the lippie.  Seriously, gross.  BUT if it's any consolation, I dug these out of a box to swatch for the heck of it.  I wanted to get some use out of them.  Ha ha, go fuzz!
My opinion of these lipsticks is that they remind me of something children get.  They've broken in the tube, are too thick to be comfortable, and they are opaque in a waxy 'play makeup' sort of way.  With such outstanding lipsticks like MAC and even Rimmel on the market, I don't see this brand offering a lipstick I would purchase again. Centrifuchsia and Babette are my faves for shade, but then again, I can't really wear them much because gloss makes them smeary and they're thick and leave me feeling like my lips can't 'breathe'...it's just heavy.  So I don't really use them.  Considering I spent $16 x's 4....that's an expensive regret to the tune of $64.  For that amount, I could buy 6 MAC lipsticks and a burrito.

I do appreciate the color range and the marketing- it's bright, fun, and effective to draw in admiration. However for me, the lipsticks aren't good.  They're just thick and feel heavy and uncomfortable.  My parting thought is that they revamp the formula because the colors intended are lovely and yet the product itself is not.  This is really a bummer because Doe has exchanged emails with me and she seems nice and quite dedicated to her line.  I hope the formula improves.

Have you tried these- what do you think?

Possible Dupes/Close Enoughs
Centrifuchsia:  MAC Full Fuchsia
Airborne Unicorn:  Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Intense Lipstick in #15 (Pearly Violet)
Babette:  Wet N Wild, Just Peachy
Cosmopop:  OCC Lip Tar in Cha Cha

Have a great day,
T
Photobucket

6 comments:

AJ said...

These are great colors! :)

AJ | www.TheAJMinute.com

Carrieanne Drew said...

oh no I love the packaging and thought these would be really good glad Ive not parted with my cash
Carrieanne xx
http://beautiesunlocked.blogspot.co.uk

Baroque In Babylon said...

Hi AJ! Thank you- I do love the shades, so bright and fun!

Hi Carrieanne- I know, bummer, right?? I wanted to love them but I just don't. I'd say good dupes/close-enoughs for these colors are:

Centrifuchsia: MAC Full Fuchsia
Airborne Unicorn: Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Intense Lipstick in #15 (Pearly Violet)
Babette: Wet N Wild, Just Peachy
Cosmopop: OCC Lip Tar in Cha Cha

Christine said...

I own Centrifuchsia and I love it, such a great shade. Want to get more :-)

Love, Christine♥
http://christineiversen.blogspot.com

Baroque In Babylon said...

Hi Christine- if you do, let me know how they perform. I think the newer lipsticks might be better and the Velvetines have caught my eye. I want Coquette and Suedeberry.

Geniewtdbh said...

I just got Chinchilla and Poisenberry a couple of months ago.I love their colors so much! I think they must have reformulated because they don't feel heavy at all. They are kind of vanilla flavored/scented and feel very moisturizing. The only thing I disliked was that poisenberry stains my lips FOREVER...