Hello!
Welcome to my blog!
Feel free to look around or drop me a line. I love comments as well.
Press/PR please contact me at
BaroqueInBabylon@hotmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Urban Decay Naked BB Cream From Naked Face to Finished: Review + Swatch!

Hi there!

I received a teensy sample (for free) of the Urban Decay Naked BB Cream with my latest Friends and Family haul.

I was excited to try this as UD has added this to ride the BB hype and their Naked line.  I used this as my only foundation to see how it smoothed and covered my skin.  I'm pale, not too bad on the blemish/pore/line issues, and was hopeful this would be a tiny bit of wonderful in a tube.

Here's the little sample.  I love the smoked bronze coloring.  I love metallics, rose gold, and coppers.  So visually, this was appealing.  This was very small, similar to most micro-samples and measured 0.12 oz.  Full size retails for $34 in 30 mL/1 oz tubes.



The product literally burst from the pressure out of the tube and made a bit of a mess.  I didn't want to use that much, but it was oozing out and got all over the lid.  So, I used about a nickel sized amount and wiped the rest away.  I would've preferred this sealed, but alas, small issue.

The color threw me for a loop. As of right now, they don't offer a shade range- just this.  It's orange-ish, dark, and not suited for my pale, Swedish ancestry skin.....I'll admit, I got a little nervous.  Visions of face vs. neck color changes were before me and I was swept to the days of bad self tanner when Oompa Loompa orange was the fallout.  I wasn't ready to head to Wonka land with Urban Decay- no thanks.










 Below is a swatch on my skin, indoors in natural light.  It was far more warm toned in person as the light in my window tends to cool things down.  Let me tell ya though, it was quite dark.  I didn't think this would work at all for me, but stranger things have happened.


Below is my face without makeup, same window lighting as the swatch.  I'm not gonna complain about how I look without makeup.  There are cancer victims, women being scarred in terrible, oppressive situations, and I'm 35.  I won't look like a daisy in a field.  That's what makeup is for, right?  But this is me with zero prep or color.










Below is me following application of the UD Naked BB Cream.  All I did was smooth it on with my fingers- I didn't mess with it too much.  You can see it warmed up my skin quite a bit.  It wasn't as orange as I thought it would be, so yeah this could work.  BUT  I'd like UD to rethink this.  Bring out some paler shades and darker shades.  I could see this being a holy nightmare on someone with dark skin.  Because it wasn't an exact match or even close, I don't think I'd buy it.  What do you see as the difference, if any?

Here's what Urban Decay says it should do:
Minimize pores, lines, wrinkles and redness instantly. Get significantly firmer, more lifted skin in 8 weeks. 
It's not just any beauty balm—it's Naked Skin Beauty Balm—the BB cream with INSANE benefits. Unlike a lot of beauty balms, Naked Skin delivers measurable anti-aging benefits—and we've got the claims to prove it. And while many beauty balms are tinted to provide coverage, ours diffuses light with high-tech pigments to give you amazing, natural, NAKED-looking skin that keeps getting better every week.  
Naked Skin is like an instant retoucher in a tube! This multitasking formula:  
• Perfects: Optical blurring pigment instantly evens out skin tone and minimizes pores, lines, wrinkles and redness.
• Protects: SPF 20 shields skin from sun damage and Pepha®-Protect helps inhibit DNA damage.
• Treats: Vitasource™ and dGlyage® firm skin, improve elasticity and provide measurable anti-aging benefits.
• Primes: Extremely blendable formula creates a smooth finish so makeup goes on beautifully and stays put.
• Hydrates: Moisturizing but never greasy, Naked Skin Beauty Balm hydrates skin instantly and improves hydration over time. 
This lightweight, velvety, oil-free miracle works instantly AND over the long term! Blur flaws in seconds and get serious anti-aging benefits in just 8 weeks—the kind that will have your friends BEGGING to know your secret. The universal shade glides on and dries down to a translucent, flawless finish that works on most skin tones. And did we mention the light-diffusing spheres that make you look professionally retouched? You’ll definitely look better Naked!  
In a clinical study, immediately after use: 
• 65% of participants' complexion looked significantly improved.
• 59% of participants' skin looked significantly lifted.
• 68% of participants' skin hydration improved significantly.
After 8 weeks of use:
• 93% of participants had significantly firmer, more lifted skin.
• 90% had significantly more radiant skin.
• 84% had a significant improvement in fine lines.
• Over 84% had significantly smoother and more hydrated skin.

Pros:
It did smooth out my pores and finished my face similar to a primer.
My skin did have that silky almost silicone finish feel to it.  (It has silicone in it, so that makes sense)
I didn't have to use as much powder and concealer to look finished
I went on a date with my husband (Dinosaur museum, yeah!) and by the end of the day in snowy winter weather, I still looked the same as when I left.  It didn't fade, oxidize, or get patchy.

Cons:
The color match was too dark and warm, leaning towards orange
The coverage was very sheer and I still had to contend with dark circles, spots, and uneven skin tone.
The tube was super leaky (not really a product issue) but I could see the actual tube being a hassle to get all of the product out and a bit messy.
I didn't see any major changes in my skin- at least not enough to consider this as a serious addition to my beauty arsenal.
I felt the overall 'after' result of this product wouldn't be that far off from a tinted moisturizer, which I could find cheaper and with more coverage from MAC or shoot, even Revlon.

After I let it sit for a minute on my face, I worked with it and added some MAC Studio Fix Foundation + Powder in NW15 on top which really helped ease me out of 90's self tanner territory.   I applied the rest of my 'face' and did my hair, which ended up looking like this:  




 



























Here are the products I used for the finished face:

Foundation
Urban Decay Naked BB Cream
MAC Studio Fix Foundation + Powder NW15
MAC Studio Finish Concealer NC15

Bronzer
Nars Laguna
MAC Beauty Powder Shell Pearl

Blush
MAC Mineralize blush Dainty
(more Shell Pearl on top of it)

Highlighter
MAC Lustre Drops in Pink Rebel (on cheekbones, bridge of nose, and central forehead)

Eyes
Primer, Nyx Eyeshadow Base Skin Tone
Coral color on lid (depotted Maybelline shade from quad)
Crease, MAC Nehru for darkening MAC Cranberry (same below on lower lashline)
Inner corners, MAC Seedy Pearl and Ready To Party
Liner, MAC Raven, Fluidline in Blacktrack, and a bit of Fluidline in Feminine Edge on lower inner tear duct area
Mascara, L'Oreal Extra Volume Collagen in Black
Lashes, Red Cherry #110 (purchased from Madam Madeline, right sidebar link -->)

Lips
MAC lipstick Syrup
MAC lipglass Innocence

For those of you who like to see what's in a product, take a look-

Ingredients (taken from Urban Decay's website):

Inactive ingredients:
Cyclopentasiloxane, Water, Isododecane, Adipic Acid/Neopentyl Glycol Crosspolymer, Lauryl Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Lauryl PEG/PPG-18/18 Methicone, Glycerin, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Propanediol, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Isononyl Isononanoate, Sodium Chloride, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Isopropyl Myristate, Xanthan Gum, Propylene Carbonate, Isoceteth-10, Silica, Lysine HCL, Fragrance, Lecithin, Citrullus Lanatus (Watermelon) Fruit Extract, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Stearalkonium Hectorite, Citrulline, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Baicalin, Linalool, Limonene, Tripeptide-9 Citrulline, Geraniol, Citral, Eugenol, Coumarin, Citronellol. May contain: CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491/77492/77499 (Iron Oxides). 

Active Ingredients:
Sunscreen
Octinoxate 7.5%
Zinc Oxide 3.4%

The final effect was okay, but the coverage just wasn't there.  I did notice little crevices in my face (like below my bottom lip, near my chin) weren't as pronounced, but it wasn't enough to make me love this little product.  Overall, I felt this product did make my skin look somewhat 'better'.  It helped me to look fresh and had a nice little finish to it.  It didn't wear as orange as I thought it was going to.

However, the color wasn't the best choice for my skin and the coverage wasn't ideal.  I still had to use concealer and powder.  Considering that, I might as well have just used my foundation and save the $34.00 this product would cost.

My feeling is that with all of the BB creams on the market (Rimmel, Maybelline, L'Oreal, Jane Iredale, Physician's Formula, MAC, on and on....) you have other possibly better choices.  Unless you have warmer skin than I do and are an Urban Decay devotee, this might be a pass for you.

It's lovely packaging, Urban Decay chic, but if you really want a nice finish to your face I recommend MAC's BB cream or the Missha BB Cream.

What are your thoughts on this product?  Have you jumped on the BB cream bandwagon yet?  If so, what's been successful for you?

Have a great day,
T
Photobucket


5 comments:

Robyn said...

$34?!!! Wow. Is there really only one shade? How can companies still think that's ok, it's mad!

Baroque In Babylon said...

Hi Robyn! I know it baffled me too. I was really excited to try it and then it was a bit of a fizzled disappointment. Coming from Urban Decay and their using the Naked iconography with it...I expected more.

Anonymous said...

There are five bedrooms, a three bedroom guest house, seven bathrooms,
six garages in the main villa. Therefore, I fear, tthe prospect for peace
in the Middle East is rather dismal. This game also took place outside of thhe Mushroom Kingdom annd also the
only 3D Super Mario gme not to feature Bowser as the main
villain.

Look at my blog; cheats for clash of clans

Anonymous said...

Other occasions it is ass well challenging or just plain nonsense.
But, I consider that most gamers want to get it for totally free instead.
Neighbors: Invite and accept invitations about the My Neighbors page.


Feel free to visit my weblog farmville 2 hack

Anonymous said...

The shift in game development has already occurred.
Therefore, I fear, the prospect for peace in the Middle East is rather dismal.
His famed advisor was a wizard and he himself, is said to return
to Briton in its time of need.

Also visit my blog post ... clash of clans gem gliotch ()