Hello!
Welcome to my blog!
Feel free to look around or drop me a line. I love comments as well.
Press/PR please contact me at
BaroqueInBabylon@hotmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday, February 7, 2013

January 2013 Glossybox USA: The Man Repeller, Review + Swatches

Hi there!

Yesterday I received my first Glossybox subscription: January 2013, The Man Repeller.

At first the name threw me, like why would I want a box of makeup/beauty items to drive men off?  I'm not exactly in the know (I have RN school social fallout), so it didn't hit me at first that it was about Leandra Medine.  She's got a funny 'don't live for a man' rather snark, so this box was fun to dig through.  The subscription is $21 a month, free shipping and chock full of goodies.  Here's what I got!

Open it with me, won't you?  Right out of the shipping box.

The box itself is sturdy cardboard and easily reusable, should you like.  Right on top, after you pop the lid is a little magazine.  I was surprised to see it was full of great ideas!  It explained a bit about Leandra, some of the items in this month's box, and great tips on hairstyles and beauty trends.  Total mini-Allure mag!  I was really pleased with that being included.  It wasn't just a filler/toss away add-on.


When you lift the lid, you see this:  Quality packaging and with a grosgrain ribbon to boot.  It absolutely felt like a gift.


Contents below- 2 full sized items and some samples.  Worth $21, I think so.


A cardboard readout of what's in the box and a little blurb about each product.  7 items total.  Full sized items were a Tarte Glamazon 12 hour lipstick and an OPI Liquid Sand polish.  Great deal!


 All laid out for your eyeballin' glory!


I'll go over each item one by one, starting with the Tarte lipstick.

Infused with Tarte's famous Amazonian Clay formulation, here's what this lipstick is supposed to offer:

"Achieve rich, vivid, and long-wearing color that applies smoothly and won’t fade away. Always hydrating and never drying, this high-cushion lipstick keeps lips moisturized all day long, minimizes the appearance of fine lines, and stops feathering in its tracks to give lips a perfect, plumped-up appearance. Thanks to nature’s most perfect ingredient, Amazonian clay, fade-free color stays in place all day, so there’s no need to continuously reapply or worry about smudging and budging. Amazonian clay also restores the lips’ natural moisture-content with nourishing and hydrating properties, imparting amazing color and restoring skin’s wellness. "
The color I received was Fierce, a flaming gorgeous, true yellow based red.



The container is wood, with red painted floral/graphic pattern and quite large- almost the length and then some of my palm.  This lipstick retails on Sephora for $26.00 alone.  That paid for the box all by itself and then some.  This helped me to see this was a worthwhile purchase to subscribe as I hate getting less than what I expect.


Up close and personal with the case.


Here's the cherry red product- beautiful!


I applied this straight from the tube following an 8 hour shift for clinical rotation on Med/Surg for my RN schooling- so forgive the not so great face- but that lipstick, BAM instaglam!



I have an uneven upper lipline (weird, I know) so don't fault the lipstick for the feathering.  I just wanted to grab some quick shots to show color payoff.  The formula says it's supposed to glide on offering line filling/plumping effects.  I will say my mouth looked fuller and the application was very smooth but not greasy.  Not too much slip.  After years of wearing mostly MAC lipsticks, this was so supple to wear, I nearly resented my tried and true Twig lippie.  This felt like sexy red lipstick should feel!


True to the tube- it applied just like it looked!  I appreciated that the color went on absolutely opaque with one run.

I wasn't fussing and trying to get it to look bright and clean- it just did.

Would I pay full price for this item?  I don't know.  Nearly $30 for one lipstick is a lot, but this red is so plush, so easy to wear, and so dang va-va-voom fantastic, I might consider it.

And that's just the first item out of the box!  Let's keep looking to see what other goodies are hiding.



 Next up, a glittery deep royal purple polish with glitter and purple little coins is the Liquid Sand Mariah Carey collection in "Can't Let Go."



The idea is to apply opaque with 2 coats and due to the gritty, sandlike gleaming formula, the matte finish does away with the need to apply a top coat.  Directions say apply a base coat, 2 layers of Liquid Sand, and enjoy your textured polish.  Here's how it looks 2 coats later (sans base coat, I wanted to apply it like now).  This polish has some reviews online and retails for $7.40 on Amazon.


Below shows exactly the texture of the polish when it dries.  Very much like liquid sand- gritty without feeling sandpapery and I've been wearing it for a little over 24 hours and only slight chipping on the tips of my thumbs and right index finger.  I like it, but put some shiny glitter coat on top because I couldn't quite deal with the matte nail.  I like a little shine.  


Next product is Estee Lauder's Sumptous Extreme Multiplying Volume Mascara, sample size, in Extreme Black.  You can get samples of various products online at Dillard's or free at the counter at department stores like Macy's and Nordstrom.  If you buy samples online, usually on Ebay this one goes for about $3.50


The brush is big, long, and has semi-short but tense bristles.  I was worried it would be huge and difficult to apply like Benefit's BadGal mascara, due to the brush size, but surprisingly, it fit well and defined my lashes.  I'll have to give it a proper review, but applying this over my already existing mascara didn't show clumps and it was glossy black.  Full size is $25.00 at Dillard's.


Next up is a sample of a moisturizer, Le Metier De Beaute (ah, fancy French names), Replenishing Daily Solution in SPF 30.  Again, most samples are free at the counter, this one sells on Amazon for $12.99.  The kicker is that a full size bottle of this is $225.00 at Neiman Marcus.  Say whaa?!
Here's what NM says:  "Drink up: This highly emollient cream is designed to condition and hydrate while it nourishes and detoxifies—the formula normalizes the skin's moisture content to provide unparalleled suppleness. Broad-spectrum SPF 30 protects the skin damaging UVA/UVB rays. 
How it Works Replenishing Daily Solution features the breakthrough, proprietary delivery system Syntoc Actif. This exclusive and patented technology aids in the improved delivery of key ingredients for quicker results. The Moisture Rich X Complexe is a specific and synergistic combination of natural moisturizing actives and skin protectants, which work to reduce dehydration and render skin supple, smooth and more flexible. "
 But $225.00 worth for essentially a sunscreen?  Egads!  I'm grateful for the sample, but knowing I won't every purchase the product, I'm nervous to use it because what if I love it.  That's a Michael Kors purse I could get instead!  So...this is a pass for me.


Next is Sebastian Potion 9 (love potion number 9 now running through my head, thankee) Wearable Styling Treament sample/travel size, 50 mL.  On BeautyBay, this retails for $14.99.  Yowza.  It's a lightweight styling treatment aimed to tame frizzies, smooth hair, and added shine and softness.  I haven't tried it yet, but sounds promising for my color-treated coarse hair.  Anything for smooth glossy hair, anything!



It seems most subscription boxes come with samples of fragrance, so this was the staple for this month's box.  It's Narciso Rodriguez "for her" fragrance.  I spritzed it on my wrist and found myself over the next 3 hours thinking, "what is that?"  I kept thinking of older ladies and their coats rich with perfume.  This isn't a young, bouncy fragrance.  It's dense.  It's old money.  It's definitely for her- if you have AARP.  I dinnae likey and wouldn't buy.  I'll use it maybe when my other samples run out.  If you are a big fan of this fragrance and live in the US, I'll mail it to you Priority.  :)  It's a great for wear time- a very long lasting perfume, but very heavy for me.

1.6 oz Eau de Toilette retails at Sephora for $77.00, but probably a sample is free at any perfume counter or with purchase (if offered) at Sephora.  I did spot a sample on Ebay for $4.99.


Last item is a nice little sample tube of fresh's Umbrian Clay Mattifying Serum.  Clay absorbs oils, so this would make sense as a mattifier.  1 oz of this is $35.00 at Sephora, and you can pick up samples on Ebay for a few dollars but most come in packets not tubes, so no real way to price compare.  If I broke down the size of the sample to the full size, I would approximate this item at $2.00.  Here's how fresh describes this product:

"What it is:
A treatment formula for normal to oily skin that tones and hydrates while minimizing the appearance of pores and controlling shine. 

What it is formulated to do:
Umbrian Clay, Fresh’s proprietary ingredient, has a uniquely high-mineral content that works to neutralize acidity while purifying and clarifying the complexion. A ginger root pore-refining complex further helps to control oil production, minimizing the look of pores. Meadowsweet extract aids in regulating excess sebum production to control oil and shine. 

What else you need to know:
The sole source of Umbrian Clay is the small Italian town of Nocera Umbra, where it occurs naturally in the earth. The ultra-fine clay has been the basis of therapeutic treatments for centuries. 

Research results:
After an independent consumer testing panel used Umbrian Clay Mattifying Serum, in-vivo tests revealed that this product: 
- Provides 24-hour antioxidant protection 
- Provides a significant mattifying effect on the skin 
- Provides significant moisturizing effect six hours after initial application 
Of subjects tested: 
- 93% noticed healthier-looking, hydrated skin 
- 90% felt their skin was more toned 
- 86% reported their skin was more supple, smoother, and softer, and their complexion was balanced 
- 76% noticed it had astringent properties and helped regulate oil production 
- 66% felt it minimized the appearance of pores
A treatment formula for normal to oily skin that tones and hydrates while minimizing the appearance of pores and controlling shine. 
What it is formulated to do:Umbrian Clay, Fresh’s proprietary ingredient, has a uniquely high-mineral content that works to neutralize acidity while purifying and clarifying the complexion. A ginger root pore-refining complex further helps to control oil production, minimizing the look of pores. Meadowsweet extract aids in regulating excess sebum production to control oil and shine. 
What else you need to know:The sole source of Umbrian Clay is the small Italian town of Nocera Umbra, where it occurs naturally in the earth. The ultra-fine clay has been the basis of therapeutic treatments for centuries. 
Research results:After an independent consumer testing panel used Umbrian Clay Mattifying Serum, in-vivo tests revealed that this product: - Provides 24-hour antioxidant protection - Provides a significant mattifying effect on the skin - Provides significant moisturizing effect six hours after initial application Of subjects tested: - 93% noticed healthier-looking, hydrated skin - 90% felt their skin was more toned - 86% reported their skin was more supple, smoother, and softer, and their complexion was balanced - 76% noticed it had astringent properties and helped regulate oil production - 66% felt it minimized the appearance of pores"

I like the results it seemed to get with trials and will try this under my foundation to see the effect.  I'll let you know how I like it.  I did note a rather refreshingly honest review HERE.  Say it like it is, right?  With so many skincare choices all making wild claims, it's nice to see a review that says, really, it just doesn't work.  So I'm thinking I'd not buy this- I usually don't vary from my usual routine anyway.


That's what was in the Glossybox!  It was a lot of fun to open and I didn't like how long it took to ship (apparently it was uber popular, hence the delay...um, okay).  However, the items I got were worth what I paid, the $21.00 subscription fee and that's it.  Here's the value breakdown!

 Total Value of Glossybox contents:  $71.87

Tarte Glamazon Lipstick, full size:  $26.00 at Sephora
OPI Mariah Carey Liquid Sand nail polish, full size:  $7.40 on Amazon
Estee Lauder Sumptuous Extreme mascara, sample size:  Free at counter, $3.50 on Ebay
La Metier De Beaute Replenishing Cream, sample size:  Free at counter, $12.99 on Amazon
Sebastian Potion 9 Styling Treatment, travel size:  $14.99 at BeautyBay.com
Narciso Rodriguez 'for her' fragrance, sample:  $4.99 on Ebay
fresh Umbrian Clay mattifying serum, sample size:  $2.00 estimated value

Based on the price point, this box was a 100% score!  I am excited to keep getting Glossybox items each month.  If you'd like to subscribe, the link/button at the right sidebar will take you tow here you can sign up.  I think it's a great value and well worth it!  Get yours and tell me what you think!

Have a great day,
T
Photobucket

3 comments:

Robyn said...

Oh wow, that lipstick is beautiful in every way! Worth the dollar this month I think! I've tried Sebastian hair products in the past and loved them!

Baroque In Babylon said...

Thanks Robyn! Do you already subscribe to Glossybox? I was thinking of doing Birchbox too, but figured one was enough. I have to admit I love that Tarte lipstick. Really surprised with how pretty and soft to wear it was.

Anonymous said...

I've been surfiոg online more than 4 hours today, yet I never found any
interesting articlе like yours. It's pretty worth enough for me.

In my view, if all weЬ owners anԀ blߋggers made ǥood content as you
did, the net wіll be a lot more useful than ever before.

Also visit my weblog; temp