Hello!
Welcome to my blog!
Feel free to look around or drop me a line. I love comments as well.
Press/PR please contact me at
BaroqueInBabylon@hotmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Hard Candy Top Ten Palette in Feelin' Blue?: Review + Swatches!

Hi there!

Don't worry if blue eyeshadow scares you.  A lot of people conjure up periwinkle frosted blue makeup when blue eyeshadow comes to mind.  I'm hoping this little palette will ease your mind about how pretty blue can be.

Hard Candy 'Top Ten' palette in Feelin' Blue? is a lovely collection of 10 eyeshadows that retails at Wal-Mart for $6.00.  It's a series of top ten palettes in color-coordinated ranges in shades of green, brown, purple, pink, and this is the blue one.  The green palette I reviewed HERE.  Let's take a peek at this pretty palette of blue!


The packaging of these palettes are quite bright.  This one has a metallic teal/aqua fabric with lace overlay on top.  For an inexpensive palette, this was a nice detail.


Open palette with a mirror and two foam eyeshadow applicators.  I don't use those, but I suppose you could use them.  I don't recommend it though, they don't really work.  These eyeshadows do crumble a bit, so I wouldn't use these.  It'll be a hot mess.


Ingredients below.  Here's the full list:

Talc, Mica, Ehtylehexyl, Palmitate, Magnesium Stearate, Mineral Oil/Paraffinum Liquid/Huile Minerale, Polybutene, Petrolatum, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Tocopheryl Acetate, Polyethylene, Terephthalate.  May contain:  Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide (CYANIDE?!!), Ultramarines, Manganese Violet, Hydrated Chromium Oxide, Iron Oxides, Blue 1 Lake, Titanium Dioxide.

The parabens might be an issue for some of you.  If so, pass on this.  I will say seeing cyanide in a list freaks me out a little bit, but it's not the ol' death-in-a-bottle cyanide, it's a low level formula that isn't toxic and commonly used in eyeshadows.  So don't worry.


Here are swatches on my hand without primer and taken indoors with natural light.  The first 5 shades (top row of swatches) weren't the best to swatch.  I had to foil them with water and apply several (um, 8) stripes to get this payoff.  They also crumbled a little.. BUT the last 5 shades are dreamy.  So bright and beautiful.  I could see these being awesome liners and crease shades.  LOVE.  They crumble as well, but I think with a primer, you'd be all set.

Here's my take on the top row, or first 5 shades:

1.  Icy sheer light blue
2.  Metallic pale silvery gray blue
3.  Bright pearled pastel blue
4.  Silvery charcoal blue
5.  Cornflower blue


The bottom row are the last 5 shades in this palette and these aren't frosty or too shimmery at all.  I am mesmerized by how bright they are.  I really was impressed.  Dang, but they're pretty.

6.  Crazy bright Caribbean blue
7.  True deep aqua
8.  Bright teal
9.  Royal blue
10.  Darkened navy

Okay 6-8 are beautiful!  I can't wait to do a look with these.  I just love them.


Here is a shot below of a more muted light, so you can see a bit more of the base color of each shade.  #5 is a pretty lavender touched cornflower.  It's frosty, quite shimmery, but very pretty.


Here's where the crumbly fallout comes in.  I applied these wet on my hand (foiled) and after they dried, they tended to separate.  Not all of the colors did this, but it was enough to make me feel like the formulation needs work.  The Green With Envy palette didn't do this.  I think with a good primer this wouldn't be an issue.  Look at #7- the most gorgeous aqua/teal eyeshadow ever.

Also #1 looks like a pale ivory color.  It's a bit of a duochrome.  In cooler light it's definitely an icy blue.  In warmer light tends to cream up.  I like that- really flattering on the browbone.




I give this palette a solid B+.  It's not my favorite of the 2 I own thus far, but it's still got enough winners that the $6.00 price tag doesn't bother me one bit.  I would recommend this palette wholeheartedly.  Deep brown eyes would look beautiful with this, as would black eyes.   Blue eyes can wear this too, but with some caution to prevent from looking like Mimi off Drew Carey.

Would you dare to wear these blue eyeshadows?  Is this a hit or miss for you?

Have a great day,
T
Photobucket

1 comment:

Ana Cavaletta said...

Hey i looove your blog!
I was wondering what kind of tool you use to make these perfect swatches ?