Hello!
Welcome to my blog!
Feel free to look around or drop me a line. I love comments as well.
Press/PR please contact me at
BaroqueInBabylon@hotmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Hard Candy Top Ten Green With Envy Palette: Review + Swatches!

Hi there!

I have a lovely range of 10 shadows to share.  Hard Candy offers a few 'Top Ten' palettes that each contain ten color coordinated shadows in a range of browns, purples, pinks, greens, and blues.  I have 2 of them and this review is on the green/brown palette called Green With Envy.  I did a look with this palette not too long ago, which you can view HERE.

I purchased mine at the uber fashionable Wal-Mart near my house.  It was a whole $6.00 and I have to admit, the colors surprised me.  They perform fairly well.  They're not Sugarpill dense or bright, or even MAC workhorse opaque- BUT they are pretty and unique and for $6.00, I'm not going to complain.  Seriously, it's like this in my brain: A chimichanga or a palette of eyeshadows?  Um.....I pick the paletette!


Here it is, with lighter more highlight shade on the left and deeper shades on the right.  You can see the palette includes a slim mirror, which I always am grateful for.


The case is overlaid with a metallic lime green casing with black lace.  I really thought it was catchy for an inexpensive product.  I've always liked Hard Candy's packaging.  So pretty.  It comes with two dinky foam tipped applicators, the likes of which I never use.  I'd rather they dispense with those and put in another shadow or something.  They never apply well and as these shadows tend to crumble a little, these would be your worst nightmare with frosty olive eyeshadow.  You'd look like you just got in a fight.  A bad one.


Here's a close-up look at the shadows, left to right in this palette.  Here's my take on each shade:

1.  Icy champagne beige
2.  Warm foxy taupe
3.  Golden based warm brown
4.  Chocolate frosty brown
5.  Metallic golden olive


I've found with these palettes the first 5 shades tend to be frosty and difficult to apply.  However as the palette continues, it's like the shades get warmed up and finally start applying and when they do, they're beautiful.

The next 5 shades, from left to right:

6.  True golden icy green
7.  Mid-tone warm khaki green with gold glitter
8.  Straight up true deep green
9.  Metallic dirty emerald
10.  Rich, metallic worn bronze



Note, this contains parabens (see ingredients below), so if this concerns you, it might be a pass on this.  However, Hard Candy doesn't test on animals, so that's a plus.  However, I wouldn't exactly rule this out as vegan.


Swatches were foiled wet on my hand without primer and photographed indoors with natural light.  The top row are the first 5 shades, the bottom the last 5.  You can probably guess which ones are my favorite.


Another angle, trying to get the reflect on the top more frosty shadows.  I really wanted that pale shade to show up.  It leans slightly cool pink, which is pretty with the green shades.  It's not your typical Stila-Kitten-Wannabe highlight.  I also think the second shade is a nice dupe for Urban Decay's Sin with less shine.



The image below really shows the color payoff of this palette.  It's really chock full of rich, wearable shades. If you have brown or hazel eyes, this would be the perfect palette for you.


The ones I loved best are the shades that applied the best and had the most unique color.  I love anything off shade- not quite green, not quite blue, what have you.  My all time fave in this palette is #7, the khaki with gold glitter.  The glitter isn't crazy like UD's Midnight Cowboy- it's intense, it's sexy.  I really like it.  I also love #5, it's a beautiful opaque olive shade that is just so pretty.  I love how these colors are all muddy, not bright and true green.  It's a very grown up selection of neutrals and natural shades.

A little bit of swatch-to-pan comparison.




The ingredients are:

Talc, Mica, Ehtylehexyl, Palmitate, Magnesium Stearate, Mineral Oil/Paraffinum Liquid/Huile Minerale, Polybutene, Petrolatum, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Tocopheryl Acetate, Polyethylene, Terephthalate.  May contain:  Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide (CYANIDE?!!), Ultramarines, Manganese Violet, Hydrated Chromium Oxide, Iron Oxides, Blue 1 Lake, Titanium Dioxide.

Okay so cyanide and parabens don't spell eyeshadow to me- but I'm not going to go EPA on this.  So many colors have chemical formulations and if you object to this, there are other more 'natural' options that may not have such additives.  

The total weight is 1.3 g, 0.04 oz each or 13 g total, which is a decent amount of product.  Again, for $6.00 these are a total steal and I think beat any drugstore palette out there.  These are some nice dupes for MAC's Humid and Sumptuous Olive and Urban Decay's Virgin.  Overall, I'm really happy with this palette and plan to get the others I don't have.

What do you think?  Is this a hit or miss for you?

Have a great day,
T
Photobucket

1 comment:

Tiffanie Michele said...

Just got this in pink!!! love!!!