Hello!
Welcome to my blog!
Feel free to look around or drop me a line. I love comments as well.
Press/PR please contact me at
BaroqueInBabylon@hotmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday, February 21, 2013

24 La Femme Blush On Rouge Swatches: Two Palettes of the Best Blush in the World!

Hi there,

You and I are going to become best friends for the next half an hour.  Make sure you've got your wallet handy because I've got 24 of La Femme's blushes ready for you to lust over and make a little list of must haves for.  Each one is affordable and these palettes are an absolute steal.  Trust me, once you read this you'll want to mega-click on over to Makeup Mania and get some of these for yo'sef!

Here's how it works:  you can buy these blushes by the pan individually for $2.87 HERE.  You can also get them in a case with a screw on lid for $3.00 HERE, which to me isn't a bad idea for .13 cents to get the case if you don't plan on ordering the palette.  Or you can highstep it on over HERE and get the $14 empty palette to place these blushes in.  OR you can use Makeup Mania's palette lab to create any blush palette you'd like for $40 HERE.  I think the palette lab is the best way to go.  You get it in 2-3 weeks, filled with your choices and you also get to name the palette.  The cool thing about that is that Makeup Mania creates a sticker to affix onto your palette so you can show off your sweet palette naming skills.  Be creative, unlike me...I wish I'd named mine Jigglee Cheekz or something...but no, I was boring and used my name. 

The palette itself is sturdy black cardboard and I've had mine for a long time and not an issue with pans cracking or the cardboard wearing out.  Zero complaints here!

I heard about these blushes 2 years ago.  I got the tip from another makeup artist saying these blushes murdered anything else on the market, even MUFE and MAC.  After she raved over their pigmentation, I had to get some for myself.  Finally locating them online at MM, I ordered this palette and a short while later the second one (that I'll also share today).  I wholeheartedly agree with my friend- these blushes will knock your socks (er, cheeks) off!

Ordering from Makeup Mania in like 2010 was easy and painless and I've never had a problem.  Back then it was only $35 for the palette, but now it's $40.  Boo.  To me, there isn't another website on the planet that is worth getting these blushes from other than MM.  Their customer service is great and these blushes just aren't cheaper in the palette anywhere else.  If you get the pans individually, the cost of 12 is $34.44, add the $14 for the palette and it's $48.44....so yeah, the pre-filled palette ar $40 is the way to go.  Now on to the colors!

This first 12 pan palette is my workhorse palette- any color I could want.  Here's my little sticker on the inside lid so it won't peel off over time.  Sorry it's dirty looking- I do Lysol everything and use alchohol but no matter what, it gets smudgy.  


Below is the filled palette.  The blush pans are in the order of the names listed on the sticker.  My faves out of this are Coral Spice, Golden Sunset, and Misty Plum (crazy dupe of Nars Mata Hari).


Below are the individual pans.  The colors in the main palette image above are true to life.  When I took the shots of the individual pans it toned the color down and washed it out.  My window lighting tends to do that. So if a pan looks like it's blah, refer up to the palette image- that's what they really look like to my eye.

Now whoaaah, huge pans of blush!  Hooray!

Cinnabar
Coral Spice
Fuschia
Golden Sunset
Grape 
Peach Sparkle
Pink Velvet
Red
Terracotta
Clove
Beige Pink
Misty Plum
Here are the swatches on my hand.  The top row is the same as the top row in the palette and ditto for the bottom row.

First row:  Cinnabar, Coral Spice, Fuschia, Golden Sunset, Grape, and Peach Sparkle
Second row:  Pink Velvet, Red, Terracotta, Clove, Beige Pink, and Misty Plum



These are dry swatches with a brush onto my hand and only 1-2 swipes.  These aren't kidding around.  Now don't worry, you won't look clownish if you apply these gently with a fan brush- Or if you use a lighter highlight underneath and then build your blush onto that.  What I do is use a MAC 187, gently dust the brush, tap off the excess and apply gently with a stippling effect.  I then use a MAC 129 to soften the color.  It will give you the most beautiful, buildable flush.


Cinnabar is AMAZING if you have dark skin.  Golden Sunset is beautiful on Kim K colored girls and Beige Pink is a killer highlight.  However, Coral Spice has stolen my Nars Orgasm loving heart. 



See any that you like?  Man alive, they're all wonderful!


Just to show how deeply pigmented they are, I swiped my finger ONE TIME just barely across the top.  I didn't rub hard or try to get this amazing opacity.  Some of the darker ones if you barely brush against them you get a lot of color.  Take a look at the results!

Cinnabar
Coral Spice
Fuschia
Golden Sunset
Grape
Peach Sparkle
Pink Velvet
Red
Terracotta  (Dupe for Nars Gina?)
Clove
Beige Pink
Misty Plum
I'm sure that was plenty of blush- but here are 12 more!  This one has some that I use for contouring and for changing up color tones and whatnot.  I also have some of my more berry tones.  Take a peek!



Look at the little circles the pans left behind.  I've heard of coffee ring, but blush ring?  Egads.


Again, the photo you see right up there is the best indicator of color.  You'll see my next 3 photos all look like the same thing- but they're not.  Gold is definitely a mid-tone brown non-metallic gold tone.  Brown is just that- brown.  Whereas Taupe is very much a soft, MAC Taupe dupey Taupe shade, a very cool soft pale brown.  Perfect for contouring paler faces.

Here we go, in the pan!

Gold
Brown (What a fib. It's totally darker.  Look below, crazy how it looks this light here)
Taupe
Brandy Ice (speckly because I sprayed Lysol one time and it got all over.  Sorry)
Heather
Sienna
Golden Ruby
Golden Rose
Indian Rose (it got scarred lol)
Mocha
Melon
Peach LF (LF = Light Frost)
Now we go swatchin'!  (Not to be confused with Squatchin'....yeah...*eye roll*)

You know the drill love, same as the palette, but here's the names so you can associate that with each color.  Because nothing is worse than loving a swatch of a color and then you can't figure out what it's called

First row:  Gold, Brown, Taupe, Brandy Ice, Heather, and Sienna
Second row:  Golden Ruby, Golden Rose, Indian Rose, Mocha, Melon, and Peach LF


Melon and Peach LF make beautiful highlighters.  Gold, Brown, and Taupe are wonderful for contouring.  I use Gold around the eyes because it does have shimmer, but the other two are gorgeous around the perimeter of the face or beneath the cheekbones.




Note that anything with "Golden" in the name does have gold particles (not glitter) that impart a lovely golden reflect.  I really appreciate that little touch.  I wish Nars would've done this with Super Orgasm instead of loading it chock full of crazy gold glitter.  Less is more, Nars dear, less is more.



Again, here's my fingers doing the talking.  One gentle little swipe and this is what I picked up. Some are darker than others, but still so impressive.

Gold
Brown
Taupe
Brandy Ice
Heather
Sienna (GORGEOUS on dark skin, wow)

Golden Ruby

Golden Rose (oh the gold makes me weak in the knees!)

Indian Rose
Mocha
Melon
Peach LF
So that's the whole set of 24!  I hope you saw some that made your heart skip a beat.  It's unbelievable that these blushes are only $3.00 at most by themselves.  It makes you a little frustrated at the mark up of MAC and Nars.  I'm grateful to find these wonderful blushes and hope you find a couple to add to your collection as well.

Which one were your favorites?  Out of the second 12 I loved Golden Rose, Indian Rose, and Mocha.  Heather is a close runner-up too.  Let me know if you order any of these or if it helps you decide between a shade or two.

Only gripe I have is the online color selection for each shade.  It's this eeensy little square that hardly matches what you'll get in the pan.  For example:

Golden Ruby online promo color:


Golden Ruby in the pan:


Big difference between mandarin red and gold flecked violet pink.  In light of that, I hope swatches like these will help others determine what shade they'd really like.  That's a better bet than eyeing some tiny pixelated color that doesn't even transfer into reality.  Hope you enjoy these beauties as much as I do!

Have a great day,
T



Photobucket



2 comments:

Liza M said...

Awesome! I really want to get my hands on some of the lighter, more natural shades. They look great.

Baroque In Babylon said...

Hi Liza! The lighter more natural shades are surprisingly workable. I love Heather and even Coral Spice for a more natural look. Mocha and Misty Plum are good too. I love that La Femme does crazy bright and also more simple colors as well.