Hello!
Welcome to my blog!
Feel free to look around or drop me a line. I love comments as well.
Press/PR please contact me at
BaroqueInBabylon@hotmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Monday, January 14, 2013

Nars blush Super Orgasm: Review + Swatches!

Hi there!

Nars is infamous for their rather naughtily named products and this one is no exception.  Their number one blush is the original Orgasm and this is her more glittery sister.

The blush is 4.8 grams full size and is a bright coral pink with mega gold glitter.  This isn't your fine little shimmery particles, oh no.  This is seriously some glitter.  What's sad is that when you apply the product the glitter ends up everywhere but on your cheek, so watch out.  So enjoy it in the pan because it's not going on your face- this might be a huge relief for some of you.  For those of you afraid of this glitter-bomb blush, if you swipe your brush across the pan, tap it a little to get off the excess, nearly all of the glitter will come off.  If there are some gold glitter stragglers once you apply, grab a tissue, spray with some Fix+ and press to your cheek.  The rest should come off.

I personally don't mind the few bits of gold.  But I wish it were smaller, more finely milled so that it didn't come off so um, play makeup like?  With all the hype of the original Orgasm blush, this one could've been fantastico, but instead is just a darker version with big pieces of glitter.  If you own the big "O" do you need this?  Not if you're looking for a new shade.  Just apply the Orgasm blush a bit heavier and you'll get the same effect as Super Orgasm.  But if you're like me and have a tendency to hoarde collect makeup, this looks quite nice next to it's famous namesake.

Retails at Nars' website HERE for $28.00.

Here's the price breakdown:

MAC blush (in clamshell):  6 g, $20 = $3.30 per gram
MAC blush (pro refill, pan only): 6 g, $17 = $2.80 per gram
Nars blush: 4.8 g, $28 = $5.80 per gram

MAC is cheaper, but you'll miss out on Nars' infamous pigmentation and smooth application- 1 swipe of my brush and I get plenty of color.  So spend on these if you'd like and a certain color suits your fancy; they're pricey but you're getting an excellent quality blush.

However I have a small disclaimer, with my pro discount at both MAC and Nars the prices are cheaper.  My Nars blush price is less than $17 per item, making it on par with the MAC blush pro refill pan.  So for me it's either/or and I tend to buy Nars blushes because I just enjoy them so much.  Perks beyond color payoff- I like the mirror, the funky (gets-dirty-in-a-week) rubberesque package, and the funny names.

Would I buy again?  Yes.  Perhaps not this shade (I prefer Deep Throat or Orgasm if I'm going for this shade range).  If you're looking for a MAC dupe, try Fleur Power.  You'll get the pinky peach yum yum cheeks without the gold glitter fallout.

Here's some photos!
Above is Nars' website image, showing the blush as quite orange based with gold chunks.  I find it more rosy pink coral than terracotta like it appears above.

Below is the back of the case:


Ingredients (off of the box, not listed on actual product):  Talc, Polyethylene, Zinc Stearate, Silica, Tricaprylin, Caprylic/CapricTriglyceride, Cera Alba (Beeswax), PEG-150 Distearate, Lanolin, Laureth-4, Tocopherol, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Ascorbyl Palmitate, May Contain: Mica, CI 77491, 77492, 77499 (Iron Oxides), CI 77742 (Manganese Violet), CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 75740 (Carmine), CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride), CI 15850 (Red 6, Red 7 Lake), CI 45410 (Red 28 Lake), CI 17200 (Red 33 Lake), CI 45370 (Orange 5), CI 19140 (Yellow 5 Lake), CI 15985 (Yellow 6 Lake), CI 42090 (Blue 1 Lake)

*note, contains beeswax, lanolin, and carmine, so if you're vegan, this blush is not for you.

On my arm, left is blended with MAC 109, right is wet application with my fingertip.  Viva la gold glitter!



In the pan, oh the beauty of it!



Below on my cheek is a nice heavy swatch of the color so you can really see the base tone.  It applies true to pan and honestly, I packed it on and the gold glitter was hardly even visible.  Makes me wonder why they even put it in the product to begin with.   Don't be too afraid to get this if the only turnoff was the glitter- it's really not that bad when in use.  Eyeliner is MAC Tarnish, mascara is L'Oreal Voluminous, lipstick Nyx round in Doll.

I tried to pat on the blush to see if the glitter would stick and some of it did, which you can see below.  I sure like the color of it and I hope this gives you a clear picture of what you'd get if you bought this blush.


Is this a pass or a must?  Do you own it already?  I'll do a swatch of Orgasm and a post comparing the two soon.

Have a great day!
T
Photobucket

No comments: