Hello!
Welcome to my blog!
Feel free to look around or drop me a line. I love comments as well.
Press/PR please contact me at
BaroqueInBabylon@hotmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Monday, November 12, 2012

The Lowdown on Gel Liners with My MAC Fluidline MUST HAVES- Blacktrack and Rich Ground

Good Monday Morning!

I'm on week 3 of "cold from Hades" which means I cough, live with a humidifier, and in general try to slog through nursing school somewhat awake.  I'm trying to dress up a bit, wear a lot of makeup, and say things like, "Well, any day now I'll feel GREAT!" knowing that soon, I just might.  Don't you hate the seasonal cold?  UGH!  Good news is my voice is all low and dusky and for about .8 seconds I could pretend like I was sexy a la Kathleen Turner 1985.  Or not :)

As for the actual point of this post (oh my wandering mind) I present to you, the two MUST HAVE MAC Fluidlines and a lot of gabbley nonsense on Gel Eyeliners in general.  You can buy gel eyeliner anywhere it seems like now, but last year, the only real competitors were Bobbi Brown and MAC.  I have a humongo list at the end of this post with various brands of gel liners, google the name to shop.

But the ones I grab most often are my Fluidlines.  I like MAC's version because well, I just do.  I can't say that any one outperforms the other.  Even L'Oreal has one now and Maybelline...they all perform about the same.  Save your money and get the Maybelline one or a jar on Ebay if you're seriously budget conscious.  But if the name on the jar matters, MAC offers two that I think are a necessary buy. 


1.  Blacktrack- true, flat, matte ebony black.
2.  Rich Ground- pearlized coppery bronze brown

Get 'em and love 'em because both offer anything you'd need for a liner for both the office and that dinner date.  Line heavily with Blacktrack or draw some swirly designs, or smudge for a sexy dark smokey eye.  Use Rich Ground as a base for your eyeshadow (MAC Tempting is a good pick, or Sable) or blended on the lower lashine for a softer color base to your lashes. 

Both perform beautifully on your waterline or for tightlining.  Set with some matching eyeshadow (MAC Carbon or MAC Twinks) and you'll be just fine for a few hours with minimal touch up.

If they dry out, ideally you want a glycerine/silicone mixture to add to soften the hardened pigment.  You want to have an appropriate amount of a fixative and softener to avoid it getting too liquid or balling up.  To prevent drying, try to keep your lids on, so they don't dry, but if they do, there's help. 

You can use a Mixing Medium (MAC offers one) and a silicone based face primer together to save your gel liners from premature death.  Mix about 1/4 tsp of each together and add to another jar to mix or into your Fluidline jar.  Mix it well with the dried up ol' mess and to really bind it all cohesively, heat with a hairdryer or in the microwave for 15-20 seconds to meld, and voila!  Try that with some pigment and make your own gel liner too- fierce idea, eh?  With that fixative/silicone/heat combo you can 100% bring your gel liners back to life! 

Koren from EnKore has a wonderful video on how to do this HERE.  If you have any reactions to these types of formulas, consider a silicone allergy :)  BUT if you're good to go, your liners are smooth and slick to apply, here's some swatches!

Since Blacktrack is pretty basic to visualize *see black with closed eyeballs*, I won't post a picture of the jar.

But Rich Ground is gorgeous, so bronzey beautiful.  Take a peek:


I used a bent eyeliner brush from Silk Naturals (seriously, killah brush, get yours too for $2.99 HERE) to swatch and always for application.  The angle gives you great access and even works for the waterline.

Blacktrack L and Rich Ground R, lightning bolts of liner boldness!



Are you hooked on gel liners too?  Here's a nice list of gel liners, feel free to try any.   As you can see a lot of companies offer a gel liner, so the choice is up to you and your wallet!  

The Gel Liner Guide for Make-Up Addicts Like Me

Drugstore/Indie
L'Oreal Infallible Never Fail Eyeliner, $8
Revlon ColorStay Eyeliner, $7
Physician's Formula Shimmer Strips Gel Eyeliner, $11
Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Eyeliner, $7.94
BH Cosmetics Gel Eyeliner, $6
FemmeCouture, $8, SallyBeauty.com
Coastal Scents Gel Eyeliner, $3, coastalscents.com
Pur Intensity Gel Eyeliner, purminerals.com
Silk Naturals Cream Liners, $6.50 silknaturals.com
Various Ebay offerings from Asia (I've got a bronze one that works great) Lipglossiping loves her Ebay gel liner pots too!  Go HERE to see what Ebay has to offer, .99 cents and FREE shipping, wahooo!  Try the Flamingo brand :)
Avon Satin Gel Eyeliner, $8

Department/Higher End
MAC Fluidline, $15
Bobbi Brown Longwear Gel Eyeliner, $11
Stila Smudge Pots, $21
Essense Gel Eyeliner, Ulta.com (price varies)
Painting Liner, Shu Uemura, $20
Estee Lauder Double Wear Gel Eyeliner, $23
Smashbox Jet Set Waterproof Eyeliner, $22
Smashbox Cream Eyeliner Palette, $32
Lancome Longwear Calligraphy Liner, $24.50
Tarte Aqua-Gel Eyeliner, $18 (price varies)
Tarte EmphasEYES Waterproof Clay Eyeliner, $22
Laura Gellar Inkwell Gel Eyeliners, $16.50
Mary Kay Gel Eyeliners, $16 marykay.com
Lola Cosmetics Gel Eyeliner, $15
Benefit Creaseless Cream Gel Eyeliner, $19
Sephora Waterproof Smoky Cream Eyeliner, $12
Yves Saint Laurent Eyeliner Effet Faux Cils, $22
Clinique Brush-On Cream Eyeliner, $22
Buxom Lashliner, $16
LORAC Pro-Cream Eyeliner + Brush, $16
Make Up For Ever AquaCream Liner, $22
Shiseido Make Up Accentuating Cream Eyeliner, $22

Go HERE for a listing of what Sephora offers with gel eyeliners (Most if not all I listed above)- I seriously think they're all made in China from one place and then marked up based on retailer.  Bah, corporate greed!  Sorry, won't rant.

For each of these, the formulation is about the same and they perform beautifully compared to a liquid (hard to perfect) or a pencil (not fine enough).  I've tried the Lola, Maybelline, CoverGirl, and a random bronze one from Ebay and they're all pretty much the same, seriously.   However, being the Macophiliac I am...I had to go with these and use these shades on clients. Stash Blacktrack and Rich Ground for your everyday looks and love them like I do!  Which do you have?  Are you on the Gel Liner kick too?  Happy eyelinering and many days of non-slipping waterline color to you!

Take care,
Tianne
Photobucket

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After going over a few of the articles on your blog, I really
appreciate your technique of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark webpage list and will be
checking back soon. Please check out my web site as well and let me know your opinion.


Here is my blog post ... colombian coffee beans