Hello!
Welcome to my blog!
Feel free to look around or drop me a line. I love comments as well.
Press/PR please contact me at
BaroqueInBabylon@hotmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Swatches of MAC Cream Colour Base in Shell and Pearl- Dreamy and Gleamy

Hello there!

I've had these babies for a while and I wanted to swatch and share.  MAC Cream Color Bases are these funny little cream pots, in a pan a bit smaller than a blush and have a smooth, concealer like texture.  I have 2 of these, in Shell (rosy beige) and Pearl (pearlized cream).  They retail for $18.50 for 3.2 grams.  You can pick them up on MAC's website HERE.

Here's what MAC says these are:

"Versatile and multi-purpose, Cream Colour Base can be applied directly to bare skin, or layered over foundation, moisturizer, or powder. Apply with a brush, sponge, or fingers. Colour effects range from a light veil to highly dramatic, depending on method of application. Fragrance-free. (The following shades are not recommended for use in lip area: Fawntastic and Black. The following shades are not recommended for use in the eye area: Fabulush and Improper Copper.)"

Below is Shell (top) and Pearl (below).


Okay so I know MAC says you can use these over powder but I wouldn't.  They don't really blend and then you get this clunky mess.  My fave way to apply these are to dab with a fingertip or a small foundation brush onto the high planes of the face.  

These also tone down lipstick, work as fine eyeshadow bases (especially nice as highlights on the browbone) and anywhere you'd like a bit of shimmer.  After applying, I then set them with a highlighting powder like Superb Mineralize Skinfinish or Silver Dusk Iridescent powder.  Shell is also lovely along the vertical lines of the tibias (shinbone) over a tan- beautiful shimmering legs!

Below is a close-up of Shell.


It applies like a creamy beige with a golden highlight effect- very pearled.  I like this on any skin tone- even very fair can wear this.


Below is Pearl.  It's a very yellowed ivory pearled shade.  This one is a wonderful way to get that 'dewy' look.  I dab this onto the cheekbones, down the bridge of the nose and off center on the forehead slightly, cupid's bow and central chin.  Then I blend (emphasis on cheekbones) and set with a highlighting powder, once the foundation is on (I use a dewy foundation like Chanel Vitalumiere) and it's gorgeous and youthful, very fresh looking. 


These also help lighten under eye circles.  Blend a bit with your concealer and especially where the shadow lines are, dab these in and the light will bounce off the shadows, creating a lighter, more awake face.  You can see these aren't very opaque and offer a high shimmer.  

I think it's worth mentioning too that they tend to set quickly.  Once you dab them on, unless you have a more moist surface (man I hate that word, moist, gah!) but seriously, if you have a dry powdered face, these will stick pretty quickly.  I'd suggest blending these on warm, well-moisturized skin, over foundation- then powder.  Using them over powder will cake, so yeah...smooth to smooth is my motto when mixing products.


Below are the colors offered by MAC (their swatches).  I'm lemming Luna, Hush, Improper Copper, and Take Root (contouring)...do you own any of these?  If so, what's your take?

Luna
Hush
Bronze
Premeditated
Improper Copper
Virgin Isle

Have a fabulous, cream color based day!
T

Photobucket

No comments: