Hello!
Welcome to my blog!
Feel free to look around or drop me a line. I love comments as well.
Press/PR please contact me at
BaroqueInBabylon@hotmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Maybelline EyeStudio Color Tattoo Eyeshadows review and swatches!

Hello, hello!  I've got some more goodies to share!  I've been seeing so much buzz about these since around December, so I thought I'd go check it out.  Even with my MacPro discount of 40%, paint pots are around $9.00-$10.00 each (not to mention shipping) so I'm always on the hunt for a good alternative I can stock up on.  I think these fit the bill!

Maybelline EyeStudio Color Tattoo Eyeshadow (Maybelline's promo info HERE) comes in 10 shades and I picked 5 that I thought would be a good range and pretty wearable.  I didn't pick up the white, orange, or teal, or taupe because I have similar in the first 3 and the taupe was sold out by my house.  Bummer.  I bought these for $5.98 each at Wal-Mart and then realized that Walgreens had a BOGO 50%....yeah fail.  BUT I'm still happy!

Here go!


As for comparing these to a MAC paint pot, MAC's sizing is larger (5 g) whereas these are 4 g.  But for half the price, one little gram won't bug you.  There's plenty of this to go around.  I used quite a fair amount for the swatches and it only made a scratch in the surface.  I'm pretty happy with the price point and usability of these.  Here's the lid...


Edgy Emerald is a true emerald green with a bit of shimmer, almost metallic sheen to it.  Sidenote:  I did notice that all of these dull down with application.  They apply bright and then fade a little.  It was a minor disappointment, but not huge.  They blend well and don't smudge around and I could add shadows on top easily, so usability is fantastic.  I haven't noticed creasing and even had great eyeshadow after sleeping in it.  So the 24 hour claim is pretty legit, but I wish they held their brightness. 


Pomegranate Punk is a coppery tinged rust color that fades to an almost medium sienna brown- not as red toned.  I like this as a base for taupe- it gives it a cool warm effect.  Under purple it really brightens the purple and with a color like Fyrinnae's Rapunzel Had Extensions, it's so shimmery and very duochrome cool!


Bad to the Bronze is an ashy dark brown metallic, not as golden of a bronze as I'd hoped- more of a dirty bronze.  It's almost wanting to be a little darker or more metallic- or else just call it brown instead of bronze.  Same texture, a little bit of shimmer, and not to overpowering, so you can layer darker or lighter shades on top easily.


Painted Purple- I wanted to love this!  It took a few more applications to get an opaque wash and is a little choppy on texture, you have to smooth this one out a bit.  It's not as vibrant as you'd want it to be once it sets.  I used it under Meow's Skeptic eyeshadow and it was BANG!  I loved it!


Audacious Asphalt has become my new go to for a smokey eye base.  It's not full on black, it's not light grey or silver.  It's a nice deep pewter shade that is really versatile.  This one is my favorite.  Great color and very opaque and smooth to apply!


Here are some skin swatches, no primer, and indoors.  Don't let the brightness fool you!  I promise they tend to fade upon application on the eye (purple and emerald the worst offenders) but with a few more layers, perhaps they'll hold their shade better.


A little bit better, brighter lighting...see purple isn't quite so bright and the Pomegranate isn't so plummy toned, more coppery.


Here's a more cool lighting exposure that is really true to color formulation.  I think this photo shows them best.


I love the metallic finish to these.  If you're looking for a matte base, these won't really do.  But I think for a drugstore brand, these perform quite well.  Maybelline would've done well to formulate a nude shade. Remember those L'Oreal cream paint eyeshadows?!...give me that color range with this formulation and we're set!  Which essentially is what MAC offers.  Make Up For Ever has their Aqua Creams (Pomegranate Punk is a dupe which Mai does a great job of portraying HERE).  BUT with the lower pricing Maybelline is an excellent choice as MAC and MUFE are pricier.  So overall, I think some more nude shades would be a hit, these are great, and now with this formula available at the drugstore, it gives us girls a cash break if we want a long wearing, cream shadow/base.  What do you think?



Do you own any of these?  I like them and they've become a daily staple!  Would you buy this vs. a MAC paint pot or a MUFE Aqua Cream?
Photobucket

2 comments:

The Peach said...

These all look so great! I picked up Tough as Taupe and haven't been super impressed. I still need to do some more testing. It is matte, I think the only matte one available. And I had some creasing with it :( Thanks for the swatches and your thoughts!

Baroque In Babylon said...

Thank you Peach! Have you seen the new shades out?