Hello!
Welcome to my blog!
Feel free to look around or drop me a line. I love comments as well.
Press/PR please contact me at
BaroqueInBabylon@hotmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Black Magic Soap from One Hand Washes the Other OHWTO Review

One Hand Washes the Other:  Black Magic Soap


That there is one beautiful black bar of goodness.  I ordered mine in May and ran out in June and that's with daily use.  I wanted to wait until I'd given this bar a good run before I squealed, "OH IT'S AMAZING!"  Okay, so now that I've used it all up, "OH IT'S AMAZING!"

Seriously, I've bought several samples of this soap and handed them out.  Some I still need to mail.  I have a lot to say about this soap, so take a moment to ogle how pretty the mold is and then settle in, we're gonna goss about this here beauty of a facial bar!


What is it and where can I buy it?

Black Magic soap is a complexion soothing solid soap made by One Hand Washes the Other and can be found via Artfire soon HERE...for those wanting to try it in a cream version (same goodness in the formula) you may purchase it HERE.  You'll notice the solid soap as of this posting is unavailable.  I've got the cream coming any day now, so I'll review that as well.  As far as I have read online, the two are interchangeable with the only difference being if you like a solid bar or not.  But I would try this in either form if I were you m'dear!  *Owner Becca promises to have the solids in stock soon-   Bookmark the link and check back.

What's in it:

This is taken directly from OHWTO's Artfire site:

Ingredients: 
Solid Soap:  saponified oils of coconut palm and safflower, kosher vegetable glycerine, purified water, sorbitol, sorbitan oleate, soy bean protein, french green clay, activated charcoal, tea tree, grapefruit, lemongrass rosemary and peppermint essential oils, vitamin

Cream Soap:  glycerin, water, sodium cocyl isethionate, sorbitol, propylene glycol, disodium lauryl sulfosuccinate, stearic acid, sodium chloride, diazolidinyl urea and iodopropynyl butylcarbamate, tetrasodium EDTA, calendula-infused apricot kernel and rice bran oils

*I notice some differences in the ingredient list and prefer the more natural ingredients in the solid.  I don't know if all of the solid soap ingredients are also in the cream, but based on Artfire's listing of the items, those are the ingredients for each one.  I'm not real thrilled about the urea and lauryl sulfate type products in the cream- but perhaps they add to lathering and consistency qualities not needed in the solid soap.  Your choice on this, but that's the info I see on what's in each product.]

OHWTO's blurb on Black Magic:

Now, you can go ahead and google these skin-loving additives and see for yourself what their benefits are and how people use them (and please- I encourage EVERYONE to do their own research and come to their own educated conclusions), but Ive compiled a small list of snippets found via google here for your convenience:



-Tea Tree Oil is antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiviral, fungicide, antiseptic; its believed to heal wounds quicker and protect them from infections, as well as help neutralize the scar marks and after spots left by eruptions, boils, pox, acne etc.


-Peppermint Essential Oil contains Menthol, which gives a cooling effect. It nourishes dull skin and improves oily skin.


-Grapefruit Essential Oil is antioxidant, antiseptic, disinfectant; its said it keeps the skin clean and is particularly good for treating oily skin and acne.


-French Green Clay is very absorbent, and literally drinks oils, toxic substances, and impurities from your skin. Its toning action stimulates the skin by bringing fresh blood to damaged skin cells, revitalizing the complexion, and tightening pores.


-Calendula has a long history of use as a wound-healing and skin-soothing botanical. It has impressive healing powers, and can clear up many different types of skin problems.


-Vitamin E helps skin look younger by reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.


-Activated Charcoal has the ability to attract other substances to its surface and hold them there. This is called “adsorption� (not absorption). Charcoal can adsorb thousands of times its own weight in harmful substances.


-Glycerin aids in preventing breakouts and keeping pores clear. It also can speed healing of present acne lesions. It is not inflammatory and will not irritate skin like many other products with harsh chemical ingredients.

It weighs approximately 2 ozs (the cream version is also a 2 oz squeezable tube) and is about the size of a can lid.  I used mine daily and found it lasted about a month and a half, used once a day. 

Why Should I Buy This?

I realize there are a lot of face products out there.  The main benefit I found was how my skin was calmer- I didn't have those occasional little bumps, the texture didn't look as rough, and BEST of all, when I was done washing, my face didn't feel tight or dry.  I didn't have that annoying need to soothe my face with lotion/cream.  I appreciated that using it became a  pleasure as though I was doing something special for my skin.  I also gave one to an acquaintance who has a real struggle with skin sensitivity and texture and she said it really worked and wanted more!  I like a product that has an effect and isn't just pretty to look at or smell.  This soap created a healthier complexion for me and I plan to use this exclusively as my cleanser.  Great thing is that it removed eye makeup better than my Neutrogena face wash and I didn't have a 'film' (even with my hard water) after washing.  Seriously, it's good soap.  It's something I've really, really come to love and feel like I'm missing out on now that I've run out.  I even told my husband to use it.  Now THAT's love!

I also like the smell.  I won't lie.  When I first used it, it reminded me of a seafood market.  Hardly appetizing, I know- especially lathered all over your face.  BUT weirdly enough, it melded into an incense like scent that I want in a solid perfume.  It's bewitchingly aromatic and not fishy at all.  I don't know which ingredient is the top fragrance note in this- but needless to say, I am in love with the scent of it now.  I almost look forward to it when I wash my face.  Can  you get addicted to a smell?  Either way, it's charming.  Fresh.  I lurves it.

Can I afford this?

Yep- OHWTO is not out to glean your pockets for their products.  The solid soap costs around $5.00 (I believe, the price is down and I don't remember what I paid) but the cream formula costs $6.00 for one or $11.00 for a 4oz tube.  I'd go for the 4 oz tube, heck save a buck.  Shipping is US $3.75 per item and addt'l items are $1.50.  International shipping is available.

*Oh just saw on Artfire the cream soap will come in a jar not a tube- so scratch the tube references.  Let's say tube one more time.  Tube.

Overall Opinion

I really appreciate how well this soap lives up to the claim of "Toning, clarifying, and healing the skin".  It cleared up blemishes, kept blemishes at bay, my skin looked brighter, and didn't feel tight and dry.  I love the scent and find the formula to be easy to use and affordable.  I feel this product competes with high end items and will definitely purchase again.  This is my exclusive facial soap/cleanser.  P.S.  OHWTO makes lovely solid fragrances and perfumes and are well worth checking out beyond this soap.

Have you tried a little Black Magic?  While you shop, listen to Marilyn sing- maybe it will persuade you to buy a tube, er jar or two :)  The French dubbing of the cast is a little drop of awesome too!



Photobucket

2 comments:

The Peach said...

Great review! I have used this soap in the past and did really like it!

Baroque In Babylon said...

Since this review, this is all I've used on my face and I can honestly say, nothing works like this soap. I hardly ever break out, my skin looks really clean and fresh (blackheads are virtually gone), and it's just a great, very worthwhile product.