Hello!
Welcome to my blog!
Feel free to look around or drop me a line. I love comments as well.
Press/PR please contact me at
BaroqueInBabylon@hotmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Hard Candy Glow All the Way Doll Face Review and Compared to Benefit High Beam and ELF's Facial Whip

Hello!  I had this big long combined post of several items and then realized it would've been a landslide of photos, so I cut it down to one thing.  So I picked the Hard Candy Glow All The Way luminizing lotion in Doll Face! 

Here's the fabulous tube- seriously, pink metallic packaging?!  Are you kidding- that alone sucked me in.  I have to say that I really like Hard Candy's packaging.  It's always brim full of graphics and tip top containers.  This one I actually like quite a bit.  It's a screw tob squeezie tube (weird description for it) but I find it isn't difficult to dispense and well, it looks fabulous.  Below is the tube with the twistable cap removed so you can see the dispensing end.


I picked mine up at Wal-Mart and you can order it online HERE.  I paid $8.00 and the product amount is a HUGE 76.5g or 2.7 oz of product.  WHAT?!  I didn't realize it was that much until I looked on the back of the tube.  Good grief, I could use this for months and not use it up.  I've reviewed the Glamazon Bronze shade HERE and I find these are great for a lovely skin pick-me-up.  The Glamazon Bronze shade is gorgeous on medium skin tone legs as a sexy nylons dupe that looks beautiful and really does apply cleanly, no leftover fragrance, and no streaking.  The Doll Face shade applies exactly the same.  It's a shimmery lotion like texture where a tiny bit goes a long way.  Here's a little dollop of Doll Face.


The little tiny dot turned into this much product on my hand...



I love the beautiful pearled cotton candy pink hue of this stuff.  I could see this being an amazing highlighter on pale skin and even dark skin- giving dramatic light bounce on high planed areas of the face like browbones and cheekbones.  Hard Candy says this is " Infused with 24 karat gold for a million dollar look".  Based on the tube, Colloidal Gold is last on the list and right before the 'may contain' listings.  So yep, it has gold in it- fun!

I did try to use this mixed with my foundation and found that it was a bit too grainy with the shimmer.  It also beaded up if I used it on my skin alone and then tried to put foundation on top of it.  The ingredient list is full of polymers and silicones so I'm not sure which exact one caused the beading- it will just keep me from using it that way again.  So mix a very small amount to brighten foundation (or lighten it with a dewy effect) on top, before I powder, but keep in mind it will pink up, so use a green to offset that, should you use this full face and need to. 

My favorite way to use this is on arms and legs on pale models and on my own face as a highlight to create a dewy effect.  I set it with a translucent powder and it doesn't gum up.  However use this as you would a cream product as it's hard to blend with powders already beneath it.

Ingredients:  Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Triethylhexanoin, Butylene Glycol, Dimethiconol, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Polymethylsisesquioxane, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone/PEG10/15 Crosspolymer, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Chloride, Colloidal Gold.  May Contain:  Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Carmine *so no, I wouldn't call this Vegan 

Plainly put, I would 100% buy this again.  I think it's pretty in the tube and works wonderfully as a luminizing product.  Sold in the US at Target and Wal-Mart and I bet you could find it on Ebay too.  Any other places you've seen Hard Candy?

Here's how this product stacks up to a couple of other similar items, ELF Shimmering Facial Whip in Lilac Petal and Benefit High Beam.


ELF's Shimmering Facial whips are an exorbitant $1.00 each *sarcasm galore*.  They're okay.  They always have this clear liquidy runoff no matter how much I shake the tube to mix it.  It's a downer.  So I have to squirt out all the clear stuff to get to the pigmented cream.  It's a creamy liquid and not high shimmer.  I do like the product once I get past the runoff, but I can't say it's a total win.  The shade 'Toasted' was an Allure mag winner....but I don't know why.  Each tiny tube contains...um let me see....I can't find content size on the tube, or the website.  *searches* Aha!  An ebay listing shows this sucker in the packaging which reads .34 oz or 9.5g.  It's the cheapest pick of these three by far.  Duh.

Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Cetyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Stearate Acid, Paraffinium Liquidum (Mineral Oil), Glycerin, Carbomer, Tocopheryl Acetate, Triethanolamine, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance(Aroma), Diazolidinyl Urea, Iron Oxides (CI 77491 , CI 77492 , CI 77499), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Mica (CI 77019), Red No.33 Lake (CI 17200), Blue No.1 (CI 42090), Yellow No.5 Lake (CI 19140), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77491), Red No.40 Lake (CI 16035)

Benefit High Beam is a nifty gem that I used a lot before I found the Hard Candy version.  Definitely a pricey item (it's Benefit) so I'd buy this on Ebay, but it retails for $24.  You can get it at Benefit's site or at Sephora (link shown)It's not as deeply pink, but it's a nice blendable glowy cream.  I find it doesn't blend perfectly and can leave streaks on the face if not dabbed just so.  Size is .45 oz, so it's a little bit more than ELF and like 700 times the cost :)  I would skip this one if you can get the other two.  I just don't think peformance wise it's a better value.  However, if you must have more expensive items, this is the most dupable choice.

Ingredients: Water, Propylane Glycol, Sesame (Sesamum Indicum) Oil, Mica, Isopropyl Palmitate, Isopropyl Lanolate, Stearic Acid, Safflower (Carthamus Tinctorius) Oil, Glyceryl Stearate, Titanium Dioxide, Polysorbate 60, Cetyl Alcohol, Jojoba (Buxus Chinensis) Oil, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Corn (Zea Mays) Starch, Triethanolamine, Talc, Oleth-20, Iron Oxides, Lanolin Wax, Simethicone, Sorbitan Stearate, Cellulose Gum, Methylparaben Diazolidinyl Urea, Propylparaben, BHA.



From L to R in photo below (on hand with flash, indoors)  ELF Shimmering Facial Whip in Lilac Petal, Hard Candy Glow All The Way Doll Face, and Benefit High Beam


Here's the same listing but in full sun from my window in my office.  This really shows the shade differences.  Lilac Petal is more of a tan based pale pink, Doll Face is a bright pale cotton candy pink, and High Beam is more of a pinked ivory pearl.  I love this sort of color, so they're all very appealing to me.  But I have to admit, Doll Face had more of a complex shimmer whereas the others were more flat and pearled.


Time warp- here's the swatches showing more of the color before I blended it out up above.  Doll Face is definitely the more 'pink' of the two.  I can't help but say that the added gold and shimmer factor makes Hard Candy the weiner!


I also had my nails done.  I figured I'd show.  The teal is Orly's Viridian Vinyl and the ring finger is Orly's Green Apple.  I love teal/green combos and this was great for an early summer pick!  *Silver ring is from Avon (not the wedding ring LOL)



Lotion of the Day:  Suave Cocoa Butter and Shea
Perfume of the Day:  Calvin Klein Euphoria
Polish of the Day:  Polish Sausage!  Kidding...it's above :)
Photobucket

8 comments:

VijiiS said...

I wish Hard Candy wasn't so difficult for me to get!

newyorkglitter said...

Thanks for the review! I looked at the pic of the 3 swatches and liked the HC best so that is a score! I have wondered how it was when looking at it at Wal-Mart. Now I know. cool beans! :) OK, corny I know...Thanks again!

The Peach said...

Great review! This is probably the only Hard Candy product that has even slightly caught my interest. If I see it next time I'm at Wal-Mart, I'll have to pick some up!

Cydonian said...

This is gorgeous! I usually look past this but the cotton candy pink tone is so pretty.

Baroque In Babylon said...

@VijiiS If you'd like some Hard Candy, I'm happy to mail you some. Make a little wish list and it's yours! Email me your address or an address you'd be comfortable picking things up at. :)

@NewYorkGlitter LOL I say cool beans too haha. I actually was surprised at how much I liked this. If you pick it up, let me know what you think!

@Cydonian thank you! I agree, pink can be offputting but this I loved. I don't use it much, but when I do, I think "I should use this more!"

Lillian said...

Thank you so much for the detailed review! I just picked the Hard Candy Glow All The Way and was confused on how to apply it LOL. Thanks again, this article was so helpful! :)

Baroque In Babylon said...

@Lillian You're welcome- I hope you enjoy using it too, such a pretty pink shimmer!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for including ingredient lists! <3