Hello!
Welcome to my blog!
Feel free to look around or drop me a line. I love comments as well.
Press/PR please contact me at
BaroqueInBabylon@hotmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Friday, May 6, 2011

Urban Decay Naked Palette Swatches and FOTD

Hello on this fabulous Friday!  It's so sunny out and the mountains are slightly snowcapped here, but oh wow, I could go outside WITHOUT A COAT!  I was really happy about that because I'm 100% ready for short sleeved weather.  I was told last night in my hometown it was 95 degrees F yesterday.  I love the heat and I was a little envious.  I'm a California girl at heart, I can't help it. 

Sephora had a little 15% off sale and I picked up the Urban Decay Naked Palette that everyone has read about at least 18 times by now.  So I won't go into weight listings, ingredients, or act like this is something new.  We all know UD and this is their mega seller.  It's the must have of 2011, bequeath it to your grandchildren, marry it, etc etc.  Photos!



I liked the purple velvet box and the shade descriptions on the back.  They had raised printing and kinda silvery outlining.  I like good packaging.


My set didn't come with the liner, instead it was the Good Karma brush- a nice velvety metal handled brush perfect for concealer. 


All of the shadows had a pearl or velvet texture, except for Naked and Buck which were matte.  Sidecar is a glittery little guy too- bits of silver in the brown, nice.  Above (since the flash blocked the names) are the beginning of the palette L to R:  Virgin, Sin, Naked, Sidecar, and Buck.


Sidecar, Buck, Half Baked (my personal fave), and Smog.


Smog, DarkHorse, Toasted, and barely visible, Hustle.


Toasted, Hustle, Creep, and Gunmetal.


Above is without flash, but these don't have a green tinge, I think it was the lighting.  All of these lean towards a peach/caramel base, except for Creep and Gunmetal.  Hustle is a bit of a cranberried deep bronze.


Here's the tip of the Good Karma Brush.  I liked how heavy and sturdy the brush felt.  I wish more of my brushes had metal handles.  I prefer it to the wood, now that I've felt the difference.



The ickle little UDPP.  I swear the wand tip is full size and you'd think it would hardly fit.  I haven't tried this yet.  I guess I'll put it in my purse or just stuff it in my tackle box somewhere.


The whole $48 deal- thank you, Sephora for being on sale xoxo


This photo below shows the texture as most of my swatches came out flat, boo.  Swatches were all taken over ELF's eye primer indoors.  Flash will be noted.


The whole set next to each other.


Below is with flash and the most color accurate, to my eyes.  All of these should click to original size (monstro) photos.


First client I used the Naked palette on wanted a Kim K almost egyptian eyed look.  Here's the finished eye.  I've got a great before/after shot with the concept photo, but I need her permission before I post it- if I get it, I'll put it up.


Here's my Face of the Day (FOTD) using the Urban Decay Naked palette on my eyes.  I'll list products at the end of the post.







Here's what I used:

Face:
L'Oreal True Match foundation N1
L'Oreal True Match concealer in Warm Fair/Light
Ben Nye luxury Visage Powder
Phsysician's Formula Shimmer Strip in Miami for highlight

Cheeks:
MAC Blushbaby
Hard Candy baked blush in Honeymoon
Smashbox Seychelles Gold highlight

Lips:
Milani Jamaican Rum lipcolor blotted
L'Oreal Soft Brown lipgloss

Eyes:
Half Baked on lid and center of lower lashline with MAC shader brush
Buck on crease and outer edge of lower lashline, blended with LC Mop brush (I forget the name exactly and I don't want to go get it, it's a small shader brush similar to MAC's)
Toasted blended into browbone over Buck, same brush as above
Virgin blended to brows on browbone for highlight and dotted at inner corners, with larger LC paddle brush and MAC shader.
Erno Laszlo liner in Bark along upper lashline and outer corners
Mascara is Maybelline Falsies
Brows:  Seriously, I just swiped the MAC shader against them with the leftover UD shadow to keep them from being too patchy. 

Fixative Spray for dewiness and set:  Boots Rose Tonic ($8 at Target, buy Target's little travel size spritzer bottle, pour this in, mist your face 2 x's after your makeup is done and now you have a cheaper travel version of your MAC Fix+)


Photobucket

4 comments:

a girl named Sam said...

I've thought long and hard, and I've finally decided that I'm going to take the plunge and buy this next time there is a sale. With the brush in the kit now, it seems like such a wonderful little kit!

Vulcan_Butterfly said...

I love what you've done with this palette. I want one too!

Ki said...

The brush is wonderful and the variety of neutrals does make this a very useful palette to have :D

Baroque In Babylon said...

@Sam I waited a while but once I bought it, I felt like I got my money's worth. Sales are the way to go and I hope you love it too once you pick it up.

@Vulcan_Butterfly Thank you! Sephora sales are great for bigger purchases.

@Ki I LOVE the brush and this is in my kit and my neutral grab. The shadows give so much more payoff than my MAC palettes.