Hello!
Welcome to my blog!
Feel free to look around or drop me a line. I love comments as well.
Press/PR please contact me at
BaroqueInBabylon@hotmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Physician's Formula Shimmer Strips Are Dupes for the Bobbi Brown Shimmer Bricks: Miami Strip + Waikiki Strip Review and Swatches!

Hi there!

Happy Mother's Day ladies!  Today was such a touching day for me.  I woke up and my husband was super sweet and telling me how much he loved me and is so tender about it.  The kids wrote me funny cards and letters (my youngest said that I help our family best by shopping and the things that would make me happiest are unlimited makeup and Taco Bell, ha!)  Sad thing is, he's kinda right about the Taco Bell part.  My oldest was grateful for the Costco muffins I buy and said he's glad I'm real with him and my little girl wants to hang out more.  I cried and laughed when I got a 2 liter of A&W Cream Soda, a small pkg of Hershey's Cookies and Cream candy bars (surprise my kids love those best lol, they'll be getting them), and my husband bought me Michael Kors' Very Hollywood perfume.  He also wrote me the most touching letter.  We don't get a lot of time to stop and express our feelings as a family and although I loved the gifts, I felt so valued by my family and it really gave me pause and a deep sense of joy that maybe I'm helping them and loving them and we're connected like I really want us to be.  My family means everything to me, especially my children, so Mother's Day is a special day for me. 

I hope if you're a mom you felt love and respect and were recognized for your heart and time given as a Mother and filling that key role in a family.  I hope you called or visited your own mother and if neither apply for you, enjoy your God given wonder to be a woman and enrich the world with what only you have to offer or express that to the women in your life.  I wish I could give a hug and spritz of perfume to every girl I saw today.  We women do make the world better and I'm grateful for my motherhood and femininity.  But enough mush, on to the swag!

The product I picked up recently was to fill a spot in my kit for a shimmery bronzer.  I have wanted the Bobbi Brown shimmer bricks but didn't want the $38 price tag, so I hit the drugstores for a dupe.  I found such a good one that I had to share!  Behold the Physician's Formula Shimmer Strips!  I picked up two in Miami Strip and Waikiki Strip.  Take a look:


For some reason the packaging print on the lids is different between the two.  Dunno why, but it's a glitch of some sort.  The photo below shows L to R: Miami Strip (Healthy Glow Bronzer) and Waikiki Strip (Peachy Glow Bronzer).  I think these are both great dupes for the Bobbi Brown Shimmer Bricks because A, the format for color application is the same, and B, the concept and color range are very, very similar.  Although the Bobbi Brown compacts have a slightly larger amount of product and will be denser in payoff, I'm totally happy with these from PF!

Left:  Miami Strip            Right:  Waikiki Strip

Where to Buy:  Target for $11.95 ea

Ingredients: TALC, MICA, OCTYLDODECYL STEAROYL STEARATE, ZINC STEARATE, DIMETHICONE, WATER, BIS-DIGLYCERYL POLYACYLADIPATE-2, CETYL DIMETHICONE, SORBITAN SESQUIOLEATE, PHENOXYETHANOL, METHYLPARABEN, ETHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN. MAY CONTAIN: TITANIUM DIOXIDE, IRON OXIDES, ULTRAMARINES, FERRIC FERROCYANIDE, CARAMINE, YELLOW 5 LAKE.

Weight: 0.3 oz or 8.5 g and oh how chic, made in Italy!  To my boring American self, that sounds kinda exotic.  I'm easily impressed though.

First Shimmer Strip is Waikiki- I like this one best as a blusher/bronzer combo.   These shades are quite warm and bronze in hue. The summer peach top shade is gorgeous on cheekbones and the bronzes are a bronzed golden trio and great for medium to deep skin tones.  These can also be used as eyeshadows as well.  I compare this most to the Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick in Nectar, seen HERE.




Above you can see the color grade from the light to dark shades.  That bottom is pretty dark and I think it would be a lovely lid color.  You tell me.

Next up is Miami Strip!  This is paler of the two and leans more cool and golden in hue.  I like this as a highlighter/bronzer and is most comparable to BB's Shimmer Brick in Pink Quartz, seen HERE.  I think this is best for fair skin as a bronzer and a lovely highlighter for warmer and deep skin tones.  It also gives a beautiful diamond glimmer effect on the skin- really happy with these!



Pearly pink beautiousness with that top shade!


Below are swatches comparing the two together.  The left finger is the Miami Strip compact and the right finger is the Waikiki Strip compact.

Top finger is Waikiki and the bottom is Miami.


I'm happy I picked these up and overall, I give them a 3 out of 5.  They're not high end, so you won't impress anyone busting these out of your purse, but for their intent, I think they perform perfectly.  They don't look muddy, the shimmer isn't cheezy, and the staying power/payoff is excellent.  I want to get a couple more to have a wider range of bronzers and I don't feel any need to pick up a BB Shimmer Brick- as these do the trick!  Have you tried either the Bobbi Brown or one of these?  I'd love to hear your thoughts.  What's your go-to bronzer?  Mine is LORAC's TANtalizer, which I'll review next!

Have a great day,
T
Photobucket

3 comments:

Ki said...

Happy Mother's Day :) I really missed being with my mom today, so your description of the day made me tear up a bit!

Baroque In Babylon said...

@Ki *hugs* I hope you got to talk to her at least.

The Peach said...

Sounds like you had an AWESOME mothers day! Thanks for sharing the shimmer strips with us. They look like a great product to have!