Hello!
Welcome to my blog!
Feel free to look around or drop me a line. I love comments as well.
Press/PR please contact me at
BaroqueInBabylon@hotmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Make Up For Ever HD Foundation Marble #117: Swatch and Review

Alrightey aphrodite- hello guys!  

I am going to reveal my mystery foundation (Krista, you're probably dead on with your guess!)  Drum roll....................and $40 later....................Make Up For Ever HD!  Okay I had to try this because there was so much hype and whatnot, I wouldn't be worth my weight in eyeshadow if I didn't.  Here's the jar I chose, lucky #117 aka Marble.  Mean for ivory skin with yellow undertones.  That's me.


I ordered mine from Sephora and it's a medium sized plastic bottle with a swively pump.  Don't think the little dispenser will stay in one place, nope it moves around and you have to be careful or your properly aimed squirt will end up where you didn't want it.  At $40 per bottle, you'd better hoard those pumpfuls!  Actually this is pretty average for your high end foundation (NARS is pricier btw and Chanel is a bit pricier).  So if you're going to splurge on one item, do so with your foundation.  It's usually worth it. 



Pretty little blob.  Yes I know I'm a bit pink, but I don't want the pink based (#115) because the last thing I want is more pink.  So I went with the yellow-ey based shade.  What's interesting is that it reminded me not so much of makeup as it did of paint.  The color was so opaque and odd that I think it would suit an Asian skin tone better than mine.  BUT on, it seemed to work out perfectly.  Here's my face, no makeup.


I applied the MUFE foundation on the right side (photo's left) of my face, without primer or anything, just to see how it sat on the skin.  Here's the result.  I wasn't so pleased.  It was sheer and kinda settled into pores and lines and I thought, "What the crap?!"


But once I calmed down and it dried, suddenly it was very even.  It was a bit weird.  I'm used to foundation being application/done once I stipple it on.  I use Sonia Kashuk's large duo fibre, swirl and stipple on my skin to apply.  Here's my whole face gone MUFE.


This isn't just a sweep on sort of foundation.  I've read reviews and it seems people toss words around like full coverage, blendable...what have you.  But I've yet to read why this is what it is.  Why the hype?  For me, it applied patchy.  (I've since used a silicone based primer and it was a lot smoother).  I also recommend you powder this.  If you prime, stipple (quickly, it dries fast), and then powder with a silicone finishing powder (like MUFE's HD or Coastal Scents' silicone spheres) then you get the 'wow'.  On it's own, this foundation can appear masky- but boy does it cover, once it's dry and if you layer.  It almost creates a rather nice skin canvas.  This is paint!!  But you have to be a bit of an artist to really get that flawless look.

The beauty of this product is how it bounces light and photographs.  It's not dewy for me much (I've yet to blend with water or anything to get the glow)...but it truly does even out your skin tone and reflect light in a way your skin looks like it glows a little from underneath.  Not shiny- just radiant looking.  There is a slight sense of feeling makeup on your skin, but I get the same from Ben Nye and other full coverage foundations- so no biggie to me.  It doesn't have a fragrance and over 4+ hours I didn't see a shift or settling.  I can only imagine with a fixative spray that this is going to hold like cement!  I have taken photos with this and my skin looks infinitely better in the shots.  I can see why this is an HD film/tv fave.  It does reflect well in photos.

For a recap, here's the halves of my face without and with MUFE HD foundation.  Can you see the difference? 



So you can see how it all looks even...without primer and on it's own.  Below is my whole face again with the foundation, indoors, no flash.  It's good.  You can see it covers well...but for $40?  Revlon does the same for $7.


Warning, if you have dry skin, prime.  Or else you might see some of this on your face with this foundation....can you see it sitting in the pores.  A primer will help alleviate this.


Overall, I am liking this.  I want to test it out more on different skin tones before I give a definite A+.  However, for what it's worth, I can see why this has created such a stir.  It photographs better than anything else I've seen.  Other foundations can cover but then photograph flat- this doesn't.  You don't get that dull masked look- it's very flattering on film, you still have a face, you just look 'fresh'. 

Ultimate Breakdown

Pricing:  Expensive, I don't think it validates a $40 foundation.  Go Chanel instead.
Coverage:  Medium, can build to full, but at this price you get nervous using a lot
Blendable:  Kinda- it's thin and dries quickly, so you have to work fast
Overall:  B  I own this and use it when I grab it, but it's not the OMGEEE foundation everyone said it was.  At least not for me.  I tend to use Cinema Secrets or even my Crown Brush foundation before this.  So in my humble opinion, save your clams and spend them on a different foundation instead.  Unless you have flawless skin, this really won't give you the whiz-bang results you might be hoping for.

Have you tried Make Up For Ever?  What do you think of their HD line- hype or hoopla?  Let me know!  In the meantime I'll keep using this and let you know how it turns out over time.  Thanks for reading!

Have a great day,
T
Photobucket

7 comments:

krista carlson said...

I knew it...I am sorta glad I didn't go out and buy it yet. I like the review on this. Would you wear this on a daily basis or just if you are going to be doing photos....

Baroque In Babylon said...

@Krista You know, I wanted to love this, but I don't reach for it. I can wear this daily, but my lines just don't disappear with this like they do with Revlon ColorStay or L'Oreal TrueMatch. My next foundation to test is Chanel Vitalumiere and MAC StudioFix fluid and Revlon PhotoReady...then I think I'll have a better feel. So far though, with all the hype and talk and WOW raves going on (from some really good pro's too)...I expected well, more! It's not a great performer for me (with primer, without, with moisturzier, sponge, brush, BB, etc) I just don't love it to the tune of $40 says I should. Bummed a bit about it, actually.

Anonymous said...

Hello I am so happy I found your web site, I
really found you by mistake, while I was browsing on Askjeeve for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say thanks for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining blog (I also
love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read it all at the moment
but I have book-marked it and also added your RSS feeds, so
when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep
up the superb jo.
Also visit my blog post ; mac baren 7 seas

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the great review! Very informative :D

Baroque In Babylon said...

@ Anon- thank you!

Anonymous said...

Damn...wish i've read this review before i splurge $42 on that foundation.. Jeez... Loreal true match can do the exact same thing..

Anonymous said...

My family all the time say that I am killing my time here at net, but I know I
am getting experience everyday by reading such pleasant content.



My website - StephanLSperrey