Hello!
Welcome to my blog!
Feel free to look around or drop me a line. I love comments as well.
Press/PR please contact me at
BaroqueInBabylon@hotmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Ideas for 2011: Beyond Beauty

Last Spring, my husband and I bought our 'dream house'. We have only been married for a few years and both of us blended our families to make one big happy one. Well, it's a work in progress (as all families are); but we are happy and growing. I wanted to make sure that our home lasts and stays dreamy. But with 3 children from ages 13 to 8, in a few months of living here I didn't want to find ourselves awash in clutter and smeary doorframes wondering where the batteries went. So I decided to make myself adhere to a schedule.

This is so hard for me. Underline hard. Then double it. I'm not consistent. If I had my way I'd never have a schedule. I'd wander the beach and farmers markets and write books on 'life' while I receive endless packages of cosmetics and smelly yummies to enjoy. But I can't. I'm a Wife and Mom and more than that, I want to be an organized efficient Mom and a giving, capable Wife. I want my family to count on me and have our household run more smoothly. I want to take pride in how I run my days, not watch them endlessly trudge by.

I googled housecleaning checklists and my best find was at Martha Stewart's website, under the Organized Home header- http://www.marthastewart.com/. Whatever her personal issues were, the woman has gracious living down to a science. Type A to the nine zillionth degree. I have a lot to learn from someone like that (minus the prison term). So I printed out her weekly, monthly, and seasonal checklists. I also created my own weekly cleaning checklist so I can keep up with things I ignore like oh, baseboards.

I don't want our laundry to pile up so that on Sunday we miss Church because my son's white shirt is MIA. I want my carpets to stay nice so I should vacuum more. I want our teak floors and slate tile to stay pretty, so I want to find the right cleaners and use them. I'm doing this because if I leave my housework to when I feel like it, it will be a hit and miss endeavor. Does this cross your mind too? How do you keep up with your homes, especially if you work? I know for me the years I spent as a single mom going to nursing school and working in the ER, sometimes I was great, other times my house looked like a crack den. Sometimes exhaustion takes over for good intentions. I've so been there.

This desire to improve has been nagging me for months and doesn't really relate to the New Year. I'm not into those types of goals. I'd rather implement new habits.

Here are some other things I'm working on:

1. Fitness/Nutrition, I currently weigh 210 lbs at 5'5" (2.2 lb = 1 kg)
2. Being more spiritual and developing my relationship to God and learning more of Jesus Christ (I'm Mormon, not weird and only 1 wife in our house hee hee, if you want to know more go to http://www.lds.org/)
3. Engaging more in my life instead of giving in to my depression and worries. Europe changed me and I don't want to let go of the new zeal I have and gratitude I feel for my circumstance.

I'd love to hear your ideas and I think essentially, we can buy all the makeup in the world (we beauty bloggers own too much anyhow) but if I'm not healthy inside and living with the intention to make my life full, then I'm really missing out on what it means to capture beauty.
Photobucket

1 comment:

MartianDelights said...

Getting into a new routine can be hard, but if you set your mind to it, then I am sure you'll do really well. Take it slowly and enjoy what you're doing and the changes you make and how they affect your life. x All the best for these new year resolutions x