Hello!
Welcome to my blog!
Feel free to look around or drop me a line. I love comments as well.
Press/PR please contact me at
BaroqueInBabylon@hotmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Monday, October 11, 2010

Dia De Los Muertos: Day of the Dead, Sugar Skull, or Calavera makeup

Hi there!

Check out this awesome artwork that really got me excited about doing a look based on The Day of the Dead. I love it. It's the ultimate zombie/skeleton babe :) and roses and Sailor Jerry influence- I LOVE it!


I hate to say it, but those skulls look like me telling my kids to do their homework. Speaking of homework, here's the lowdown on Day of the Dead-

From Wikipedia: Day of the Dead (Spanish: Día de los Muertos) is a holiday celebrated in Mexico and by Mexican Americans living in the United States and Canada. The holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died. The celebration occurs on November 2 in connection with the Catholic holidays of All Saints' Day (November
1) and All Souls' Day (November 2).

Traditions connected with the holiday include building private altars honoring the deceased using sugar skulls, marigolds, and
the favorite foods and beverages of the departed and visiting graves with these as gifts. Due to occurring shortly after Halloween, the Day of the Dead is sometimes thought to be a similar holiday, although the two actually have little in common. The Day of the Dead is a time of celebration, where partying and eating is common.

For my look regarding Day of the Dead, I was inspired by this tattoo.

 
I wanted to capture the daisy like eyes, the skeletal teeth, and the beauty but eeriness of it. Is that a word? Except I didn't want mine to be so sweet. I wanted to be creepy.

And here's me!


I kinda look like the Insane Clown Posse mascot, don't I? I hate that stuff, but with the wig and all, it did take on a demented clown look. Here's just the makeup.  I used only brushes and did this in about 30 minutes.  I think if you went slowly, it could be a lot smoother.


I used Ben Nye Clown White for the face and Black for the detailing. I mixed in a lot of colours for this: Blue, Red, Yellow, Green, Hot Pink....I wanted it to be a bit disturbing but beautiful too. Then out of nowhere I decided to clip these hair pieces on and it took on a new dimension. I looked like I should start shrinking heads and put a bone through my nose. Ha ha! Awful!

So I guess if you wanted to, you could either go Spanish lovely or well, bust out your voodoo doll. I hope you guys like it and I'd love to hear your Halloween ideas! I have no idea what I'm going to do and my children all have their thoughts but can't wear makeup and such to school (other than a little bit)....soooo...I'd best get to making some plans!

Thanks for stopping by!

Have a great day,
T


8 comments:

The Peach said...

You did an amazing job with this! Very beautiful and creative!

MissTat said...

oo i love it! i've been wanting to try my hand at sugar skull makeup for awhile now :)

Heather / Eyeconic said...

You are amazing. That is all.

Isis said...

Very fetching! :D Very nicely made with great imagination!

TianneMarie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TianneMarie said...

Hi Tat! Oh try it! The only downside was washing it all off...but I think it was a fun thing to try. Send me a link when you do.

TianneMarie said...

Heather, hello! Thank you. I appreciate that!

TianneMarie said...

Hi Isis! Thank you! I laughed when I realized I looked more witch doctor than skull...but I gave it a good go. I appreciate your compliment!