Hello!
Welcome to my blog!
Feel free to look around or drop me a line. I love comments as well.
Press/PR please contact me at
BaroqueInBabylon@hotmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Friday, October 15, 2010

Deceptively Sweet: Why I love faux food

Okay maybe this makes me weird, but I have a confession. I adore fake food. The kind of rubbery displays in cheap Reno cafes and tiny polymer confections in dollhouses and I secretly want a bowl of wax grapes. Not the hokey obviously fake stuff....no the creepy almost "I can't believe that's not real" kind of stuff that you almost want to eat. One time I poked my curiuos finger into a little parfait at P.F. Chang's, assured they were rubber props, only to find out they were very, very real.

I'm in love with 'almost' real aspect of it. The incredible detail, the cutesy aspect, and most of all, the whimsy. How annoyingly splendid would it be to have a Tea Party with the most divine little macaroons and splendors you simply couldn't bite?

I want a menagerie of realistic faux food so that I can decorate my table like a feast and stare at it and it will never, ever spoil.

Anything you love that is well....weird? Don't be shy!




Examples of my yummy inedibles are at links below. Some are purely kawaii cute and some are so deceptively delicious, you want a bite (like the tempting strawberries above):

DivineSweetness : Jewelry, hand crafted polymer pretties

Fake Cake : Have a party with a fabulous cake. Kinda.

PetitPlat : More handcrafted polymer items...cupcake ring, anyone?

Fake Food Online : This is a fabulous site to browse. I almost want to order some and pretend to make dinner just to freak my family out. Does this mean I need therapy? :)

Display Fake Foods : Create a "wine spill" or how about a $153.00 martini?

Photobucket

6 comments:

Corbyjane said...

Hahaha! I love fake food, too. Actually, that's not true. I love standing in line staring at it, going, "is it real? Is it fake?" It keeps me entertained and I almost wonder if that's why they do it, lol.

I don't know if this is exactly weird, but any food with layers I feel the need to take apart. Layer cakes I always eat top to bottom. When I was still eating dairy, I'd carefully eat my sherbert or neopolitan a section or swirl at a time. I always eat my candy corn in sections, too. It's not that I'm OCD; I just like things better that way, with one flavour at a time.

Kendyl said...

If I can find a fake yam...I'm sending it to you.

ladyinatophat said...

This post is so dangerous for me. I just had plenty of food cravings just from looking at these pictures. Lol!

TianneMarie said...

Hi CorbyJane! I'm the same with layers. I eat sandwiches by layer and I always read magazines back to front. I love quirky habits and yours sound like mine- not OCD, just particular. And the fake food- I so want a big cake under a glass dome on my counter. I am nerdy like that :)

TianneMarie said...

FK!!!! I miss you! Please text me your phone number as I have a new phone. If you find a yam, I'll take it, anyday :) I miss you, friend!

TianneMarie said...

Hi Lady! Oh I know...that donut- yum yum! It's hard to believe it's not real. I'd like to see this stuff in the actual though. Some items look rubbery or waxy. I should order something and review it lol!