Hello!
Welcome to my blog!
Feel free to look around or drop me a line. I love comments as well.
Press/PR please contact me at
BaroqueInBabylon@hotmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday, September 30, 2010

18th Century Makeup a la Marie Antoinette

"I put on my rouge and wash my hands in front of the whole world!"

Hi there!

That was Marie Antoinette's complaint about the public exposure she had while Queen at Versailles. I've been reading her life story by Ms. Fraser subtitled "The Journey" that Sofia Coppola based her MA film upon- a movie I absolutely adore. In the spirit of Marie Antoinette, I dug into 18th century cosmetics to find out what makeup would really have been like. Below are 18th century rouge pots. Ladies would apply deep red rouge in circles on their cheeks- the darker the better. These little containers were quite expensive as only the most elite would have had actual rouge. Less fortunate ladies used herbs, dyes, and did their darndest to copy Court appearance.


18th century fashion revolved around richly fabricated clothing (silk, yes please) and pale skin and if you happened to be hanging with the Louis XVI crowd, those bright bombs of rouge and powdered skin and hair. Some found it appalling and others felt it brightened the face and gave a flush of allure. A lovely lady below at her "toilet" getting glam, 1700's style.


Today, I busted out the baby powder, my rattail comb, and a hefty amount of blush to create my take on 18th century beauty a la Marie Antoinette. I have a lot of respect for the woman herself and wondered what my face would look like in 18th century powder. Take a look.

A lot of people put those black shaped cutouts- but I didn't want to go the costumey route. I wanted to copy what really would've been. Minus the lead based powder- yuck.

The last photo I based on the story of Marie's final hours in Versailles. She was in bed with the angry mob outside that were ready to storm the palace. Frightened, she exited her bedchamber through a secret stair to join her husband and together, the royal family waited while the French Revolution came right to their door. I wanted to capture a moment of her watching- wondering where to go and what to do. I'm happy with how it turned out.

If you want to try out your inner French Queen- here's what I used:

Face: Ben Nye colour cake foundation in Geisha, dusted with Make Up For Ever HD powder and Aromaleigh Opal finishing powder. Opal along nose, center of upper lip, and chin.

Concealer: (around eyes and mouth and nose) Ben Nye in Ivory

Cheeks: Cargo cream blush from 3-n-1 meltproof palette (bright coral shade) and Aromaleigh Rocks! Rouge in Candy-O

Lips: Cherry chapstick and powdering of Aromaleigh Rocks! Rouge in Candy-O.

Hair: Loads of makeup and baby powder (which dusts off of me in a cloud every time I move) and hairspray. There are specific hair powders for this sort of look that hold instead of falling to the scalp, but I used regular baby powder.

Lashes: Covergirl Lash Blast mascara in black (only a little so I don't look like Casper)

That's it! I'm going to walk around my house today with my big MA pouf and I feel a bit glamorous and I actually like it. If only I had panniers and a dainty fan. How about you? Have you ever wanted to wear an historic look?

Thanks for stopping by and here's the trailer for the movie- it's to die for and the sheer visual gorgeousness of it is unbelievable. Enjoy!


Have a great day,
T




15 comments:

MartianDelights said...

What a really interesting post ! I think you pictured Marie Antoinette really well, reminds me of Emmanuelle Beart as Marie Antoinette in a TV series that came out in 1989, for the 200th anniversary of the revolution. I can't find any videos to link to, sadly.
But I think you look really beautiful :) the style really suits you !

TianneMarie said...

Thank you!! I had a lot of fun getting the hair to stay and applying enough powder without sneezing the whole time. I'll have to check that out- I love Marie Antoinette. I'm a sucker for any kind of gorgeous tragedy.

MartianDelights said...

:) If you want to know more, I think it's a 3-part series called "Les Jupons de la Revolution"... I can only remember the Marie Antoinette one, there was one called Talleyrand as well, but I think I didn't watch the other ones (or mum and dad told me not to as I was only 9 at the time and there were violent scenes).
I didn't know there was an American version of it... is it worth watching?

Goddess said...

Girl....you really crack me up....I told you long ago, that you have a wonderful artistic eye. The drawings you have sent over the years have been a treat for me. To see your artistic ability in make-up...I thind you finally found a career you can excel in. Loved the pix and the history lesson in the process. Went back and checked out your Eygptian look...wow....do me! do me! I am next....I wish I didn't live so far from you, we got to get together....Oh, our Reno trip is in March, so hang in there, I will have plenty to talk about!

TianneMarie said...

Hi L! The movie by Sofia Coppola is seriously, amazing. She didn't do a huge epic that is meant for historical accuracy, but the costume design and the camerawork and sets are incredible and filmed at Versailles. If you can get a copy of the DVD- I would, it's one of my favorites and a total eye candy film! I'll have to look up the one you mentioned. I'm a history nerd and I love MA.

Janette!! I love you! You always make me feel like I can do anything and I appreciate you so much. Reno, yes! Anytime!

Isis said...

Great job! I get a little depressed with all the make-up's out there that claims to be 18th century, but is, in reality, just inpsired. Nothing wrong with being inspired, but it's not the same being true 18th century. So it's always nice to see such lovely job as yours!

TianneMarie said...

Hi Isis! I value your input and from your profile picture, looks like we should head to Versailles together! I am glad you saw that I was trying to be real and not just play up the idea. I tried really hard to find any sort of actual 18th century products online (even photos) to reference and it was a challenge. Thanks for leaving a comment and stopping by!

Isis said...

I'm so an 18thc entury nerd! Actually, I hold a class on 18th century beauty, so it's a subject that is close to my heart. A bit of drumming my own drum here, I'm afraid, but perhaps you would find these blogposts on 18th century make-up interesting:

http://isiswardrobe.blogspot.com/2009/10/white-skin-and-powdered-hair.html

http://isiswardrobe.blogspot.com/2010/05/review-on-ageless-artifice.html

http://isiswardrobe.blogspot.com/2010/05/18th-century-me.html

http://isiswardrobe.blogspot.com/2010/08/more-18th-century-make-up.html

Isis said...

I'm so an 18th century nerd! Actually, I hold a class on 18th century beauty, so it's a subject that is close to my heart. A bit of drumming my own drum here, I'm afraid, but perhaps you would find these blogposts on 18th century make-up interesting:

http://isiswardrobe.blogspot.com/2009/10/white-skin-and-powdered-hair.html

http://isiswardrobe.blogspot.com/2010/05/review-on-ageless-artifice.html

http://isiswardrobe.blogspot.com/2010/05/18th-century-me.html

http://isiswardrobe.blogspot.com/2010/08/more-18th-century-make-up.html

Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden said...

Nice post! Wish I would've found it prior to this past Saturday! My husband and I dresses the part, even tho I am a brunette. I felt very limited with my makeup choices in a small town.

Madeleine Doak said...

The look suits you! Did you know that Versailles hosts a masquerade ball every year? A friend of mine went a couple of years ago and posted some pictures to one of her blogs.

http://50.87.144.102/~chasing/?p=604

It looked like fun, but I'm a bit old for that ingenue look. I'd have to go as Madame de Noailles or Madame Adelaide or something decidedly less glamorous. Plus I'd want everyone to be (speak, move) in character and would be frustrated that they weren't.

Baroque In Babylon said...

Nikki- did it work out? I hope so! Hope you had fun.

Baroque In Babylon said...

Hi Madeleine, Oh my GOSH seriously??? I would love to go....love to go! Noailles would be a lot of fun, she's so proper. If you love that period dress, check out American Duchess' blog...she makes 18th century clothing that is stunning.

Desislava Bancheva said...

It's really beautiful and gorgeous style! I love it! I adore this period-hairstyles, fashion, make up-all about it.
I will try this look on me. But I'am a brunette. It's will be interesting to see how suits me.
Good job. Congratilations from Bulgaria!

Baroque In Babylon said...

Thank you Desislava!! xoxo