Hello!
Welcome to my blog!
Feel free to look around or drop me a line. I love comments as well.
Press/PR please contact me at
BaroqueInBabylon@hotmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Monday, August 2, 2010

Water Marbling Nails: Inspired by Lorraine

I usually don't like posting video heavy things since it's a little visually overwhelming, but THESE I had to show! Lorraine at Martian Delights (http://www.martiandelightsdiscountmakeup.blogspot.com/) showed a post on marbled nails. I'd never seen that effect before and she inspired me to look at how to do it. I love her latest post on these beautiful dark swirled nails that look like artwork. I saw them and thought, "How the heck do you do that?" I found a very talented lady online at:

http://mysimplelittlepleasures.blogspot.com/ Some YT vids she's done are below. Hello amazing! I couldn't function with nails that long, but the colours are super WOW!







I don't do NOTD or nail tutorials since I go get mine done with acrylics (I know, it's so '92). I thought this was so beautiful I called my daughter to come downstairs and showed her the videos too. She got excited and we both busted out our polishes. I then tried to do some marbling myself. Key word: Tried.

This is a tricky technique! Sometimes the drops are hard to get out (use newer polishes or you'll wait forever). Or the colours don't pop and bleed (like pinks and purples if too similar) but if you get it even close to right, it's the coolest thing! Take a look at our results:





Then I only did 1 of my fingers. My left ring finger. The rest I left as the french mani (OPI Jade is the new black) with with a glittery overlay for the other 9 fingers.

That's as close as I'll get to neon until I get more polishes. As for now, I only have a handful. Actual shots below. I think I took my finger out of the water too fast or at a bad angle since the polish looks wobbly a little and had a bubble. But I'll get this, I swear!


You can see the polish all over our fingers. It's messy to clean up, but you do end up with really cool looking marbled fingers! Have you tried this technique? Any tips for beginners? I thought it was really unique and now my little girl has the rockin'est nails! She's loving it and we had a great time. Thank you Lorraine!

Also, Robyn showed me her link for marbling. It's very exact as to what to expect, but she writes in a way you feel like you're hanging out with her. Check it out:

http://eyelinerandspraypaint.blogspot.com/2010/06/water-palaver-how-i-do-water-marbling.html

Thanks Robyn!

Photobucket

6 comments:

Robyn said...

Like the colours you used a lot, I'd never have thought to use more neutral colours! I have a marbling post with how I do it here if it helps :) http://eyelinerandspraypaint.blogspot.com/2010/06/water-palaver-how-i-do-water-marbling.html

TianneMarie said...

Hi Robyn! Thank you! We just drummed up what we had and then tried it. It's a challenging bit of work. But it turned out okay. I'm hooked now and want to get some brights and do mine. Oh man...like I need more beauty stuff, right? I'm going to check out your link.

MartianDelights said...

Cool post Tianne, glad you had fun with your daughter :)
It is a bit tricky indeed, but it's good fun, and after a few trial and errors it gets better :) For a first attempt, it's really good :)

I can't remember how I got into nail marbling.... I think I came across a post on one of the nail blogs I follow, a photo-type tutorial. Because I was using gel overlays I only had a few nail polishes, and then I discovered OPI and China Glaze and went into a frenzy spree and bought 20 odd varnishes !
I really like Robyn's marbling on this post, you might want to have a look at it
http://eyelinerandspraypaint.blogspot.com/2010/07/face-n-that.html

I like Colette's videos, they're just to the point, and the designs she comes up with are fab... because they are designs IMO... who would have thought that if you drag the varnish in a certain way you'd get a certain pattern... I sure wouldn't have thought of that !

You say you do acrylics? do you have a particular colour/pattern or is it just a french mani? I have never done acrylics, my friends have, looks really neat and tidy :)

It's great that you spend time with your daughter doing varnish/makeup. I had 3 brothers and now I have a son, so I never got to play dolls lol x

MartianDelights said...

DUH ! I think I must have skipped the end of the post somehow I didn't notice your nails were there too !

張陳俊凱柏 said...

Riches serve a wise man but command a fool.............................................................

TianneMarie said...

HI Martian- LOL you didn't miss a thing! I edited it and put it in when I did my nail later in the day. It's still kinda hard to do (and messy) but I'm bound and determined to get a good mani out of it. Thank you for giving me the idea.

To my Asian friend- wouldn't it be nice to have that option to go either way?