Hello!
Welcome to my blog!
Feel free to look around or drop me a line. I love comments as well.
Press/PR please contact me at
BaroqueInBabylon@hotmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Makeup King 120 palette swatches and review (excluding rows 1 and 6)

Above is one of those palettes that are often sold on Ebay. I see different names like Makeup King, Manly, and even those from Coastal Scents. I think they're all rather the same palettes- cheaper kits from Asia that are then resold under different 'makes' i.e. Makeup King. I don't know that for sure, but that's my assumption. Sometimes they're offered on Ebay for $1.99 US and then $17.00 shipping....I wouldn't pay over $15 US for this including shipping. You can find it that cheap if you watch a few items with low shipping. Why? Well, it's not the best makeup- a lot are not very pigmented and some break easily or the pans fall out. BUT with a decent primer and foiled wet- these will perform as well as Revlon.

So if you're interested, by all means, feel free to buy!

Beware a lot of these are sold as MAC or MAC's or MACs and I'll tell you right now, if you can't find it on MACpro.com or MACcosmetics.com, it's fake. MAC does not offer a 120 palette and most Ebay MAC is fake unless it's stated as authentic, but even then....use your Pro card (or have someone with one help you out) and it'll be cheaper than Ebay and REAL.

Here are swatches, identified by rows. I went from the left side of the palette to the right. I didn't swatch the first row (whites/greys/blacks) or the 6th row (pale flesh/browns) because I ran out of time. I will do it though. In the meantime, here are the bulk of the shades:

This grouping above really performed the best out of all, probably the same as the last rows (yellows/oranges). The blue greens really did stand out. The matte shades are kinda blah, but the shimmers (the colours that don't look as flat) work the best.

You can barely see the first few pink shades and I tried several times to pick it up with a wet brush and apply onto primer (ELF Prime and Seal). The reds worked out great though.
One thing about these palettes is that you have to use a primer or you'll get very little colour payoff. Foil them and layer. Otherwise, nothing much will show up. I also found that the darker colours didn't necessarily mean high pigmentation. Some of the pinks and blues didn't apply well.
I love that green fourth in from the bottom right. It's like a mermaid tail. Very similar to Caribe Pure Hues from Aromaleigh.
The yellows and oranges were second best to rows 2 and 3. They really showed up- especially the bright oranges. I will note that I didn't experience any eye irritation but as ingredients are listed and you never quite know where these are coming from- spray these babies with Lysol before you use them the first time and MUA's these are NOT for kits- more for personal use.

Do you own any of these palettes? What's been your experience? I like it, but I tend to use my loose pigments (sometimes I press them) over these...but I'm glad I have it. It's fun to break out and people go, "oooohhhh!" over all the colours. Nothing wrong with having a box of rainbow.

Photobucket