Hello!
Welcome to my blog!
Feel free to look around or drop me a line. I love comments as well.
Press/PR please contact me at
BaroqueInBabylon@hotmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Detrivore Cosmetics: Swatches and Review

Hi there!


I figure that I should get to swatching (if you have noticed, I'm on a roll) since I have a lot of product and wanted to put the colours out there. I had a haul from Detrivore Cosmetics and wanted to review them.

If you head to the website http://www.detrivorecosmetics.com/ you'll find a tongue-in-cheek story about a zombie named Distorria who loved makeup but couldn't find any to suit her taste and hence, Detrivore (carnage eater) was born. Otay. The colours have morbid references and come with little crawly critters on the labels, I like it. Even if that isn't your bag, the colours will be, I promise.

I like the kitsch, but I'm more interested in the makeup. Here's what I found. A few offerings in eyeshadows (matte, highlighters, original, and satin). I like satin best- they have a very pigmented offering with a nice gleam, not flat at all. Eyeshadows come in a 5 gram jar (shrink wrapped) for $5 US. Samples come in a sample baggie and I'm not sure of the weight, but they compare to Fyrinnae's HUGE samples. I hate to say it, but I wouldn't bother with a full size unless you HAVE to have the shade. Don't eat me, Distorria!

Blushes are 10 gram jars for the same, $5 US. These are a steal. I only have Leech (a dark brick shade) and I am hoping in future to have them all. Yep, I'm an addict. Help.


Customer service is great. You'll have to navigate the Paypal buttons to check out and you'll get an order email and fast shipping in a bubble pac. So far, standard for indie mineral companies, but consistent- which is great!

Pigmentation is surprisingly heavy and rich. Nothing bland or full of filler or heavy glitter that just falls off. These come off like MAC- but a lot cheaper. I honestly feel they're worth looking at and trying. I'm suppressing the urge to order more in the next bit- simply because looking at these again made me covet.

The only full sizes I have are an eyeshadow called Abnormal (brocade like hunter green with olive tones and golden sparkle)...

and the blush named Leech which I described above.

Here are the swatches:



Above are swatches indoors, no flash in normal light. Below are outside, full sun. You can see the texture differences. Kraken is satin, but so is Harpy, so meh...but they're beautiful.

The only issue I really had was that the website swatches are off from what you'll get. Kraken is almost this unknown colour if you based it on the website (it's so dark of a shot). It's a shame to ruin the showing of such a pretty shade with a bad swatch online for customers to choose from. I would hope the swatches change soon. Some of the original collection has clear blocks of colour, but they're not exact either. Not a HUGE deal...but if you're wanting exactly what you see, prepare to be surprised. Here's my comparison using on the left Detrivore's images and on the right, my swatches. Interesting, huh?


What's your take on Detrivore?

Have a great day,
T


2 comments:

Heather / Eyeconic said...

I agree that their website pictures are too "rich" and saturated for what you get. That being said, I love me some Detrivore. Thanks for the swatches, I think Kraken and Dagon must be mine *_*

TianneMarie said...

Hi Heather! If you get those two, I promise Harpy isn't a miss! She's got a thing where you can get a special of like 6 shadows for $20. It's only for June, but I think she's still running it. Check it out under 'News' on Detrivorecosmetics.com