Hello!
Welcome to my blog!
Feel free to look around or drop me a line. I love comments as well.
Press/PR please contact me at
BaroqueInBabylon@hotmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Cute as a Cupcake (Sprinkles Chocolate Cupcake Recipe included)

Hi there,

This will be quick, but there's some yummy stuff at the end of the post that kept my family on a sugar high for 3 hours- yieee!

I wanted a sweet dollface look with fluttery lower lashes to match the cupcakes I made tonight. Hence the title and the treat full o' sugar. *Sorry these are all cursed with weird lighting, it was 9:30 at night, with flash* I used the following:

Eyes:

Umber (dark brown matte, Aromaleigh Pure Eyes Mattes) Outer V and lower lashline, blended into crease.

Lady Stardust (royal purple with silver glitter, Aromaleigh Rocks! ) Lid and blended into lower lashline.

Glowing Luna (firefly glowy green, Aromaleigh Les Papillons) Highlight on browbone and slightly blended with purple and brown on lower lashline.

Mascara: Maybelline lash stilleto in black

Brows: ELF eyebrow kit

Lashes: Arlene singles

Face: Maybelline Mineral Powder in Ivory Fair

Cheeks: Aromaleigh Rocks! Rouge in SinisterRouge (deep fuschia pink)

Lips: Besame in Coral (brownish muted orange) with Besame gloss in Chocolate Lip Glaze (brown frost)


Thanks for taking a look....now onto the treat! I made these tonight after watching those cake shows on TLC. I felt inspired to base my LOTD on the cupcakes. So after baking them, I went upstairs and did the makeup. Yes, I'm weird.

Great-Grandma's Coconut Cupcakes

From Sprinkles pastry chef Candace Nelson (I used this recipe and tweaked it a little)

Makes 18 to 20
2 cups sifted cake flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

2/3 cup whole milk (I used coconut milk instead)

3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

3/4 teaspoon coconut extract

1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter

1 1/3 cups granulated sugar

2 large egg whites, plus 1 whole large egg

Make sure all the ingredients are at room temperature. Heat the oven to 350 degrees and line two greased standard muffin pans with cupcake liners. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a measuring cup, combine the milk and extracts. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add the egg whites and the egg and mix until they are combined. Add half of the flour mixture and mix until it is combined. Gradually drizzle in all the milk mixture. Add the remaining dry mixture and mix carefully until just combined. Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake cups (they should be two-thirds full) and bake about 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cake springs back when pressed lightly and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool.


Coconut Chocolate Frosting

Makes about 2 1/2 cups

3 oz chocolate, melted and cooled

8 tablespoons butter (1 stick)

1/8 teaspoon salt

3 3/4 cups sifted powdered sugar, sifted

1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon coconut milk

















In the bowl of an electric mixer, slowly mix the cooled melted chocolate, butter and salt until fluffy and combined. Slowly add the powdered sugar. Mix in the milk and vanilla until incorporated and the frosting is smooth. Frost each cooled cupcake with about 2 tablespoons of frosting and immediately top with 1 teaspoon of sweetened coconut shavings.


















*To add oomph, I colored the coconut with olive food coloring and some aqua edible glitter. I then cut out large and small flowers out of purple colored fondant and large olive colored leaves. I arranged the coconut around the piped frosting and then placed the flowers (setting them with whipped egg white- the best baker's glue evah). Then I used edible pearls in the center with more glitter. Voila!

Have a great day,
T

2 comments:

BLIX said...

May I have a cupcake? I want one, they are so pretty!
You make me think of a cross between glam rock and a cute doll. Great makeup combo!

TianneMarie said...

Thank you! If you lived nearby I would totally give you a cupcake. I wish I had a neighbor like you!