Hello!
Welcome to my blog!
Feel free to look around or drop me a line. I love comments as well.
Press/PR please contact me at
BaroqueInBabylon@hotmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Friday, June 18, 2010

Product Review: Tree Hut at WalMart

Tree Hut Body Products: Scrubs, Body Butters, and Mmmmm they smell sooo good! That's the focus of my review today.

But first, I want to dispel a few things that really give drugstore items a bad rap.
So when you think of stores like WalMart, high performance beauty products don't usually play a part in that image, right? Well, surprisingly drugstore products are climbing up the quality ladder like crazy. You don't have to buy (literally) into the myth that higher price equals higher performance by your beauty brands. Or worse, exclusive dept. stores or boutiques hold some magic sway in presenting only the best.

Anyone who tells you that a certain formula is expensive and available only from them is selling you one thing: Their profit margin.


I love this print by Barbara Kruger from the 80's. It's so true. How many times have we bought things because they were 'cool' or 'trendy' or 'hot' or would make us more cultured or fabulous? Ugh....let's rethink this lemming mentality and realize that spending money doesn't mean you get better stuff. Carry on with the drugstore rant, shall we?

Mass distribution means a few things in general. Cheaper prices and yes, a lot of times lower end products. BUT in the beauty industry where many ingredients are the same in either Chapstick or Chanel- this low overhead for bulk pkgd products means the consumer (ahem we makeup addicts) get all the benefit without the wallet busting cost.

Besides, do we really need to throw more money at Karl Lagerfeld? Yes we do! He needs more Herm├Ęs scarves dang it!

The lowdown is this: Because it's cheap, works great, and usually is just as high quality as many dept. store items WE can buy MORE at the drugstore! Yay! Gimme, gimme, gimme...

Economics lesson over- BUT I wanted to share a major find at good ol' WalMart. Brand: Tree Hut

Found at: Wal Mart (Walgreens, Rite Aid, etc) They also have a website, click name above.

Avg Price: $5.86 at WalMart to $16 on Amazon- yikes, I told you about that grouchy old profit margin. Go buy this at WalMart. Paying more for the same bottle is lame.

Scrubs: They offer many in gorgeous versions like Almond and Honey, Tahitian Grass, and my faaaaave Brazilian Nut. Each come in an 18 oz tub. They have a hug brim so using in the shower is easy. Literally it's just grab and go.


But, I am going to review my latest flavah, Coconut Lime!
From Tree Hut's website:

Delight your senses as you smooth your skin with this rich, exfoliating sugar body scrub. Made with luscious coconut and lime extracts and enriched with vitamin C and natural oils to soften.

Key Ingredients
Coconut Extract
Lime Extract
Safflower Seed Oil
Evening Primrose Oil
Avocado Oil

Ingredients: Sucrose, Glycerin, Polysorbate 20, Silica, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Extract, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Extract, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Fruit, Ascorbic Acid, Retinyl Palmitate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Fragrance, Juglans Regia (Walnut) Shell Powder, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Sorbic Acid, Caramel
Tianne's ten cents: I think these are a gem! I really do. For such a low price you're getting some as good as the Body Shop or Bath and Body Works. This scent has a twist of Coconut and smells like a margarita of some sort. It's got a citrus tang to it and is really refreshing.


I love the light aqua colour and the texture is gritty with the natural sugar but smooth and doesn't turn to glop when water hits it. Thankfully the sugar doesn't melt quickly and allows for some awesome exfoliation. A little does last, so I've had this for 3 mos and use it daily.


The natural oils don't leave you feeling coated and I'll be honest, I ditched my St. Ives and Kiehl's and now use THIS on my face! Not a single blotch or breakout and it doesn't scrub so much my nose peels.
I really, really recommend this!


So, do yourself a favor. Go hop into your car, onto your bike, or wheel your skateboard over to WalMart. If you're outside the US, try drugstore.com for a cheaper deal.
I would go with the scent you favor most (I love creamy, chocolately edible scents so Brazilian Nut is literally so yummy you want to eat it) and give this a whirl.

You'll get hooked, I promise. Plus, with the low cost, you can buy two! OR try the matching body butter! Hooray! Now ol' Karl can save up like the rest of us for his scarves. Sheesh.
Photobucket

No comments: