Hello!
Welcome to my blog!
Feel free to look around or drop me a line. I love comments as well.
Press/PR please contact me at
BaroqueInBabylon@hotmail.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday, January 14, 2010

American Idol Makeup- Meet Mezhgan!

New season of humiliation and some good ideas- I try not to hide under my NAP blanket during the auditions too much, but it's hard for me to see people be earnest and get made fun of...and sometimes I wonder- can they really not tell they sing badly?! BUT besides the ear splitting misery and moments of grandeur- I was watching one thing. The makeup.

Randy looks like he's made out of wax and a bit grey, but that man has nary a wrinkle on him and ZIP on the shine, so well done on that. Simon looks greasy (I wonder if he allows makeup much or fusses, not sure on that) but he does look young and not too flat. What stole the show was Kara! Kara with her smokey eyes and glimmer lips looked FAB. Victoria Beckham was alright, her blush and lips were gorgeous, but her eyelashes were too long and distracting and Mary J....well, I just love Mary J. She's a cool cat.

I looked up who did the makeup and I figured it out!

Meet Mezhgan!

Sadly there's a rumour she dated Simon (to each their own) and I'm hoping she had more taste as he seems cold and I get tired of lovely girls getting eaten alive by egotistical blah men. BUT that's just my 2 cents!



Mezhgan Hussainy is the mastermind behind American Idol's lovely looks! She does a fantastic job matching skin tones and giving that luminous, dewy look (even on our over 50" HD tv...my husband's baby, not mine...after 5 years of 32" squalor) and she has a website that offers her bio as such:

Hollywood Makeup artist, Mezhgan has become one of the most respected professionals in her career working with some of the hottest television shows and biggest names in the business. Currently working on the runaway hit series, "American Idol", she can add such celebrities as Ryan Seacrest, Barry Gibb, Carrie Underwood and Simon Cowell to her resume.

Mezhgan's big break came when she got the opportunity to work as the makeup artist to actor, John O'Hurley (of Mr. Peterman "Seinfeld" fame) on the game show, "To Tell The Truth". After a successful run of two seasons on the popular game show, Mezhgan had finally arrived and was off and running.

As a humanitarian, Mezhgan was a guest on a heart felt episode of "The Montel Williams Show". Taped shortly after the tragedy of September 11th, Mezhgan recalled the circumstances leading up to and events that occurred during her family's escape from their native Afghanistan in the early 1980s. Mezhgan hopes to educate others of the horrors that once existed for millions of people in her homeland. In addition, she wants to bring about the realization that like all people living in the United States, many people from her region of the world only too desire the dream of life, liberty and happiness. The FARAWAY Foundation is a Non-Profit Organization that Mezhgan has set up for the Women and Children of Afghanistan to help rebuild schools and hospitals. She continues to work toward this cause and she is currently working on a book based on her life experience.

Mezhgan continues to work as a much sought after makeup artist in the entertainment industry. Whether working on popular television programs, famous faces, selling her makeup line on QVC or preparing her upcoming book, this woman is definitely making a brilliant mark on Hollywood!



I like her style and she's launched a product line. I get nervous whenever I see MUA's represent because I wonder how many times basic items like brushes from China get re-hawked with a new 'name' (I see this all the dang time, with few standouts retail-wise) and wonder what new she has to add since her products aren't what got her to her fame.

I'd rather see what she USES instead of SELLS. Anyone else feel that way too? Unless she's been able to develop a line that has the best of what she loved without the excess and is tailored for her work and public use. THEN I like to check it out!
Here's a glam pic of the beauties, ready for action! Here's also a vid of her discussing her experiences on American Idol (from a few seasons back): HERE

Click HERE to check out her line at www.mezhgan.com

Pros:
-Great packaging (not that that matters, it's the product, but still)
-Scaled down- you don't need 200 items to look great
-GREAT makeup tips on site.
-Lip glosses look like very usable colours and match the liners well.

Cons:
-Expensive for an essentially unknown brand that needs to get more than the celeb circuit to fly (I think). I hope it doesn't go the way of Victoria Jackson.
-Limited selection. The blush was a bronzer and a palette that looked really orange but it's mosaic like, so it could be used if I wanted to really focus and stab my brush into the small space of the one colour I wanted
-Not available nationwide in real brick and mortar stores (as far as I know). It looked to be online exsclusive, from my quick visit I didn't see a lot of info on where to purchase other than the site.

So, I will look into a matching gloss and liner and check out the foundation. She's a lovely, lovely girl and I was digging Kara's wonderful eye makeup and her lips and blush. It was riveting- truly. If Mezhgan's line holds up like Kara looked- then I'm sold! Anyone out there tried it?

I'll close with a hilarious clip from the latest episode- Kara and Mary J look fab and this poor man- he was obviously having fun, but I don't like seeing people who struggle be made a joke, but his song was catchy!


Until next time,
Tianne Marie

No comments: